1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Civic
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

How's it going my US brethren.....

Well after debating whether to go custom or kit for my first Turbo setup I finally bit the bullet and got the GREDDY TURBO KIT 11550021A for my D16Y1/D16Z6 delivered to Sydney Oz.

So now I have a couple of questions after getting carried away ordering I forgot to ask :alky:

1.Upgrade path on stock internals
Intercooler = Already Got
Bigger Injectors?
BOV Plump-back?
Fuel Pump?
Turbo Timer?
Upping the boost?

Did I miss anything?

Next

2. Gauge's?
Boost Gauge?
Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge?
Oil Pressure Gauge?
Water Temp Gauge?
Oil Temp Gauge?

Did I miss anything?

What's wank and what's not?

Do the Autometer 92-95 Honda Civic Dual Pillar Pod fit well and how hard is it to paint gray?

Thanks Guys

LukeZen

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
1.Upgrade path on stock internals
Intercooler = Already Got
Bigger Injectors? -450cc, cause your not going to break 300 whp with that kit so they will not max out
BOV Plump-back? -just go open atmos
Fuel Pump? -stock is good for ~300 whp, but i would not go past 250 whp
Turbo Timer? -not required, just nice to have. you can sit in the car for 1 min, can't you ;).
Upping the boost? -i would not pass 1 bar

Did I miss anything? -need a new map sensor for anything past 11 psi.

Next
2. Gauge's?
Boost Gauge? -required
Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge? -not required, if you have faith in your tune
Oil Pressure Gauge? -required
Water Temp Gauge? -optional
Oil Temp Gauge? -optional, you can guage temp by pressure*.
my thoughts in red, obviously ;).

btw: * = pressure drop (3-6 psi) without an oil leak means your oil is cooking.

edit: re-thought the whole oil temp guage. might be needed in your case, as your in country where it is reallly hot.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
Hey

How's it going my US brethren.....

Well after debating whether to go custom or kit for my first Turbo setup I finally bit the bullet and got the GREDDY TURBO KIT 11550021A for my D16Y1/D16Z6 delivered to Sydney Oz.

So now I have a couple of questions after getting carried away ordering I forgot to ask :alky:

1.Upgrade path on stock internals arp head studs and new oem head gasket
Intercooler = Already Got whats the size ? have to figure in pressure drop across the intercooler
Bigger Injectors? prelude or dsm's will be sufficient
BOV Plump-back? open atmosphere knock off greddy or what you like for sound
Fuel Pump? 190 lp walboro
Turbo Timer? eh. if ya want to =P
Upping the boost? 15psi is the max efficiency of the 15g

Did I miss anything?

Next

2. Gauge's? see below
Boost Gauge? gotta watch that boost creep.
Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge? no fake light show device shown in picture, true wideband with digital read out is best/true
Oil Pressure Gauge? sure
Water Temp Gauge? always good to monitor your cars fluids
Oil Temp Gauge? sure cant hurt only help

Did I miss anything?

What's wank and what's not?

Do the Autometer 92-95 Honda Civic Dual Pillar Pod fit well and how hard is it to paint gray?

Thanks Guys

LukeZen

·
Registered
Civic
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

Yeah it dose get hella hot here lol

The guy that's installing my kit is suppling the intercooler, hes has two GReddy kits on his D16Y1 before he sold it so I would assume he knows what size should work the best :)

BOV into atom is illegal here in OZ plump-back or none at all it the only option..

So those pods fit OK on the EG's? and yeah I'll get some real Gauges..

Man these instructions by GReedy are the worst I've ever seen :skull:

Are there any better written instructions on installing this kit?

Thanks Guys

Luke

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
no, but i do know that in cali they are for sure illegal through visual. wonder why as well.

·
Registered
Civic
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
atmo BOVs are specifically illegal?

any idea why?
Yes only atmo are illegal across the board in Australia..

no, but i do know that in cali they are for sure illegal through visual. wonder why as well.

Yeah simple

Venting of any Exhaust gas into the atmosphere before passing through the cat means that car would not pass an emissions test,,,

Global Warming and all the shit!!

I thought you guys were the turbo kings Pins and new all this shit.......... lol

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
Yes only atmo are illegal across the board in Australia..

Yeah simple

Venting of any Exhaust gas into the atmosphere before passing through the cat means that car would not pass an emissions test,,,

Global Warming and all the shit!!

I thought you guys were the turbo kings Pins and new all this shit.......... lol
bov doesnt vent exhaust gasses into the air, only compressed fresh air.
if it where exhaust gasses running into your intake how well do you think your car would run?
you can always plumb it back into your intake if you want. i dont know what the laws in Australia are, but all dsm bov are plumbed in that manner.
i think emissions laws are more picky about cat converters, the altering of oem engine management, and exhaust emissions.

·
Registered
Civic
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bov doesnt vent exhaust gasses into the air, only compressed fresh air.
if it where exhaust gasses running into your intake how well do you think your car would run?
you can always plumb it back into your intake if you want. i dont know what the laws in Australia are, but all dsm bov are plumbed in that manner.
i think emissions laws are more picky about cat converters, the altering of oem engine management, and exhaust emissions.

Huh?

So no exhaust gas's ever make it back into the intake?

If not then the law makes no sense as thats the atmo's are illegal in Oz

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
bov valves stops the intake air from back spinning the compressor when the throttle plate closes

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
Yeah simple

Huh?

So no exhaust gas's ever make it back into the intake?

:slap: lol j/k.
guess we do know what we are talking about.

·
Registered
Civic
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
bov valves stops the intake air from back spinning the compressor when the throttle plate closes
Yeah I know that but can't exhaust gas make it back into the intake due to dodge turbo?

:slap: lol j/k.
guess we do know what we are talking about.

This is my first turbo so I hope so :) but what I've states is fact.. here in Oz

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
just check your local laws to see what kind of turbo setups are legal in your country. like i said theres many oem turbod vehicles in australia. dsm's just vent back into the intake right before the turbo. you dont have to vent into the atmosphere. it make a nice sleeper too because you wouldn't hear the ricey bov squealing like a mouse fart.

·
Registered
Civic
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
just check your local laws to see what kind of turbo setups are legal in your country. like i said theres many oem turbod vehicles in australia. dsm's just vent back into the intake right before the turbo. you dont have to vent into the atmosphere. it make a nice sleeper too because you wouldn't hear the ricey bov squealing like a mouse fart.
Yeah cool

most guys here just don't run with one at all, is that safe?

Well they were wrong at my local RTA dump chicks

There illegal here in Oz due to.. noise polution.. epa rules

I guess that's why plump-backs are OK coze they don't make much noise

1 - 16 of 16 Posts