Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 EX Coupe with a Greddy Kit (92-95 Kit with bigger FMIC). Right Now I have a built motor, built transmission, and lost of other misc. speed parts (everything I need to run lots of boost). I am running 6 psi of boost right now. I just ordered and recieved all the parts I needed to crank up the boost (RC 440 Injectors, E-manage with all harnesses, Profec E-01, and New walbro intank fuel pump). I am going to get the parts tuned and installed and then I will run more boost. Anybody have any idea on a reccomended boost level to run on a daily driver. Also I was wondering what the max HP and boost level was for the td04-15g turbo and this kit. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats wrong with emanage? From what ive read its the most comparable fuel setup to hondata. And hondata is the best! Its basically a small laptop computer where you can control everything from amount of boost to fuel mapping? AM i wrong?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kommon_sense said:
the td04-15g is good till 14-15psi, which is around 250whp.
This is a statement that I just got thinking about. I have a d16y7 and I don't think that 15psi will get my 250whp. Now, is the limitation of the turbo 250whp or 15psi? I am going back to my hondata tuner and am going to shoot for ~225whp stock internals but to get there I think I will need 13-14psi.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have heard that the 15g willmax out at 15lbs. but to support 15lbs u will need bigger injectors. the 440's max out like at 11lbs i think.dont quote me just thats what my hondata guy told me

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kyosoeg6 said:
i have heard that the 15g willmax out at 15lbs. but to support 15lbs u will need bigger injectors. the 440's max out like at 11lbs i think.dont quote me just thats what my hondata guy told me
440cc's are good for just about 300whp.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stealthcivic said:
Whats wrong with emanage? From what ive read its the most comparable fuel setup to hondata. And hondata is the best! Its basically a small laptop computer where you can control everything from amount of boost to fuel mapping? AM i wrong?
Yes, very.

eManage is an overprived Apex'i V-AFC with datalogging. That's it.

It scales back your MAP sensor input to allow the manifold pressure to build greater than the stock allowance. Your car will throw a code at about 3.1 volts of the (0-5v range) of the stock MAP sensor.

It intercepts this signal, modifys it based on the user defined (20%? Sheesh..) amount and force feeds that new hacked signal to the ECU. The ECU Never thinks it sees boost. How does this work without running lean? Larger injectors. The larger cc injectors compensate for the difference in fuel flow (because the ECU's fuel maps are never altered) during the same injector pulse as the stock 240cc injectors. Hack Hack Hack. "Well if it works, why knock it?" Because no one takes into account the BAD things that happen when scaling your MAP sensor input.

Scaling effectively advances your timing like MAD! If you've ever looked at an ignition map before you'll be able to visualize what I'm saying.. But anyway, I'll try to explain it. Say you have a grid, 15x17 for OBD0, 10x20 for OBD1.. It's tuned for whatever vehicle, and you're maximum pressure is 1.3psi. You have the full range of your ignition (it does this to fuel also but for explaination I'm using the ignition). Now, you take your newly quired overpriced AFC and scale your MAP sensor input. You're at max 6psi. Imagine that extra range between 1.3psi and 6psi is tacked on to the end of the ignitoin map, cool uh? Too bad that is not what happends!

It squishes everything into those same size table!! This is called, "loss of resolution". Resolution loss is bad. It diminishes the amount of tuning points available for situations with the ECU. It makes your fuel and timing maps, more generic. Anyway.. imagine shifting everything over to the left to squeeze in the 6psi? Where do you timing values fall? MADLY ADVANCED!!!!!!! That's only 6psi.. imagine running 8, or even 12psi on this setup. The higher the boost, the more advanced your timing gets. Not that you would be able to scale your MAP sensor back far enough with an eManage to get 12psi without getting CEL(10). Oh well..

So, you compensate by retarding your distributor a bit... killing your low end power, and effecting speedy spool. C'mon now.. This is not a way to run a vehicle. Especially by using an almost $400 unit.

Why do they sell this? Because it's a cheap way to manage fuel for *LOW BOOST* setups. It's not meant to run 15psi. Are you crazy? Anythign above 8psi needs a *real* management system.

It's nothing like Hondata. Hondata is an ECU tuning system. This uses code that was written specifically for running boost. Specifically for tuning your car. eManage is nothing like this. It is a hack, plain and simple.

If you're going to run over 8psi, please invest in one of the free ECU tuning solutions, or a commercial one if you don't feel comfortable. Save yourself time, and money in the long run.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
stealthcivic said:
not comparable to hondata or aem ems AT ALL. emanage is a piggyback that only controls fuel. Doesn't do squat for spark or anything else. As previously stated, its basically a VAFC. I wouldn't want to spend money building a motor to cut corners on the management.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Pfieffdog said:
kommon_sense said:
the td04-15g is good till 14-15psi, which is around 250whp.
This is a statement that I just got thinking about. I have a d16y7 and I don't think that 15psi will get my 250whp. Now, is the limitation of the turbo 250whp or 15psi? I am going back to my hondata tuner and am going to shoot for ~225whp stock internals but to get there I think I will need 13-14psi.
The turbo is only efficient to about 15psi. 15psi is roughly about 250whp on a z6/y8. You considered getting a turbo cam? Maybe delta or web cams can help you out. Another option would be a head swap w/turbo cam :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kommon_sense said:
The turbo is only efficient to about 15psi. 15psi is roughly about 250whp on a z6/y8. You considered getting a turbo cam? Maybe delta or web cams can help you out. Another option would be a head swap w/turbo cam :)

I would consider a cam but the thing is that I'm rocking stock internals. I want to see what kind of numbers I can put down on stock internals. I know that a cam would help as well as a head swap but right now I don't really see the point when I could just turn up the boost another lb and get the same result, ya know. And I can def. hit the limit of stock internals without adding these.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kommon_sense said:
That is true. However another spin on it is that with a cam, you could make the same power with less boost :) Might make for more reliable and simpler tuning. Just my $0.02.
Very true.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turbo0efi, you could have not been more wrong about the emanage. it actually controlls all of the engine fucstions and only gives the stock ecu info needed to run the rest fo the car. it does timming, fueling, can control boost, and more. you need to think b4 u type crap liek that . you sounded dumb. sorry but you did guy.

a stock y8 motor is the strongest d motor honda made. my car went 14 lbs of boost with a hondata ecu and 440 injectors. the emanage s fine too, but i thinky ou'll liek the hondata better. but it's your choice really. you can get abotu 250 wheel power out of that greddy kit, but that's about it. some may hit 265 but no more.

the newer kits already come witht he emanage and everything else as well as a larger turbo that can hit 300 hp. so something to think on.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Model: All - E-MANAGE IGNITION HARNESS

Model: All - E-MANAGE SUPPORT TOOL

Model: All - E-MANAGE (basic unit)

Model: All - E-MANAGE INJECTOR HARNESS

Model: All - E-01 n/a

Model: All - 3.0kg/cm2 PRESS SENSOR

Model: All - PRESS SENSOR HARNESS

taken from greddy's site. to support my last statement. notice the ignition harness? and map sensor stuff?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oscarmayer you are joking right? I think Jason "TurboEF9" knows a thing or two about fuel management. Why don't you check out his site or the nice FAQ he wrote over at HMT... you just might learn a few things. :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oscarmayer said:
it does timming, fueling, can control boost, and more. you need to think b4 u type crap liek that . you sounded dumb. sorry but you did guy.
Wait, before you speak, you need to do a bit of research. There is a difference between controlling ignition, and modifying ignition. I've found no information indicating that the ignition harness does ANYTHING but retard. Retard? Sheesh, yes, based *again* off your STOCK TIMING MAPS. Nothing has been altered.
There is no CYP, there is no TDC, or ANYTHING that would be able to let eManage "control" spark tables. You can set a rate of retard, that's it.

As for the fuel injector harness... nice, control injector pulse durations... oh, wiat, by percents. Niiice. Still *NOT* controlling the pulse duration, but modifying it.

HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK!!!

Granted, it's better than absolutely nothing at all (maybe) but it's still not "controlling" ignition or fuel by any acceptable, or RELIABLE means. You have STILL not justified the outrageous price tag on this ridiculous "Hondata blue" ripoff contraption.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I already like this TurboEF9 guy. Freakin knows his shit.........plain and simple, good for the board.

We need a tech like that at my shop, need a job???

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how come if it'[s jsut a hack type ecu cpontroller that's it's been used to controller 750cc injectors on some honda cars? it DIEd comtrol injector impedance first off. Have you ever played with one? I doubt it by the way you sound. I'm not claiming to be a tuner myself, but I do know what some thing can do. the emanage CAN control timming as well as duration and impedance on the injecotrs. if if ii'm wong, hey then I guess the several cars i have worked on (not tuned) or seen worked on at one of the local shops that do run one and use 440+ injectors are not runnign right and not running a perfect 12.2-12.7 across the board eh?

interesting...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts