Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been tinkering with the thought of should i build my block or not. i think ive just decided to do it. i just remembered my buddy has a greddy 18g, elbow, and dp just sitting there. it needs a rebuild though. he said he would sell it to me for cheap.
anyways, ive been searching around for hours about how the turbo will fit on the sohc greddy manifold and if you use a 1/2inch spacer for the manifold, you wont need to shave the block. but here are my questions:
with the spacer, would the 18g elbow and dp clear all the a/c parts?
when does this turbo get full boost and start to spool? very laggy? streetable? other than shaving the block or using a spacer, is there any other mods for it to work? with the stock elbow/dp, will it still bolt to the exhaust as normal?

if i were to go with this turbo, id really like to do a MINIMUM amout of work/fabbing to get this in right. id also like to keep my a/c even if it means keeping the stock 2inch dp since im pretty sure my autoworks dp wont fit the 18g elbow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have an 18g on my d16y7. the shaving of the block was not a big deal at all. 2 minutes with a 4.5" angle grinder. I wouldnt use a spacer because with the 18g and the elbow it is very tight already. Also with a built motor the 18g won't be able to be used to its full potential because the internal gate limits you. With an external gate you should be able to max out the turbo around 380hp or so.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 18g on my d16y7. the shaving of the block was not a big deal at all. 2 minutes with a 4.5" angle grinder. I wouldnt use a spacer because with the 18g and the elbow it is very tight already. Also with a built motor the 18g won't be able to be used to its full potential because the internal gate limits you. With an external gate you should be able to max out the turbo around 380hp or so.
how is the power band? and is it streetable on a sohc? when does it start spooling? i can get my hands on a greddy manifold thats already tapped for an external wastegate so thats not a problem right now. where u also able to keep yuor a/c?

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
A 18g will never make 380 whp on a D motor, on paper it may look like it has enough CFMs on the comp side, but the exhaust side is still restrictive and will create a ton of back pressure well before you get to 380.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 18g will never make 380 whp on a D motor, on paper it may look like it has enough CFMs on the comp side, but the exhaust side is still restrictive and will create a ton of back pressure well before you get to 380.
do you know what the greddy 18g would compare to? how would this spool on a sohc?

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
goose i think i once looked into it as you know i was a big DSM turbo fan , and i think it was darn close to a big 16g , I would expect very good spool and decent midrange torque from it. but again your supporting mods and set up will determine allot to. but i suspect you wont have any issues .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts