Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 civic ex
My car broke down today in the middle of a rain storm. It turns over fine but will not start. I checked spark from the wires and got nothing. I aslo checked from the contact spring in the distributor and got no spark. I plan on researching as much as possible tonight but would like to get it fixed tomorrow.. If anyone has any tips on figuring out what needs to be replaced it would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds normal when it turns over..wouldn't a broken timing belt be a little more violent? When it died it just simply lost power. Also, would a broken timing belt cause the no spark symptoms? I'm waiting for the rain to die down then I'm going to get to work. I've researched a lot in the past 12 hours and it sounds like the distributor or possibly the ignition coil?? All I need to do now is figure out how to go about diagnosing it. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
I have seen this symptom from a broke/stripped timing belt and also a friend of mine installed an aftermarket header and the O2 sensor wiring melted to the header and shorted out causing a similar issue. Also check your Thermostat ground for a good connection.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
My guess is the coil went out but could be the igniter to or a bad connection or broken wire.

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked both the thermostat ground and o2 sensor last night both looked fine

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'm trying to check the polarity on the negative side of the ignition coil(should switch on and off as I crank the engine). All I have is a multimeter..? Do I need a test light or is there a way to do this with a multimeter? Auto parts store is a 2 mile walk..

Btw timing belt is fine. Still no spark from coil so I'm assuming either the coil or igniter has gone bad

·
Premium Member
CRX Si
559 Posts
So I'm trying to check the polarity on the negative side of the ignition coil(should switch on and off as I crank the engine). All I have is a multimeter..? Do I need a test light or is there a way to do this with a multimeter? Auto parts store is a 2 mile walk..

Btw timing belt is fine. Still no spark from coil so I'm assuming either the coil or igniter has gone bad
sounds like the coil. i have changed the coil on my old ef the symptoms sounded exactly the same. it was driving and it died at a stoplight. swapped the coil and continued on my way

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Check all grounds to engine and most likely main relay!

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i knew it
Yea thanks man I worked through the ignition control and it was giving the power to the coil but then no power out of the coil so bam. Gave you well earned rep!
So I just got back from getting my emissions tested and failed. I'm hoping its bc of all the fuel that got dumped in without spark..does that sound like a reasonable thought?? And do you think if I just drive it for a week it will take care of it and pass the test?

·
Premium Member
CRX Si
559 Posts
Yea thanks man I worked through the ignition control and it was giving the power to the coil but then no power out of the coil so bam. Gave you well earned rep!
So I just got back from getting my emissions tested and failed. I'm hoping its bc of all the fuel that got dumped in without spark..does that sound like a reasonable thought?? And do you think if I just drive it for a week it will take care of it and pass the test?
what state are you in?
do you have a cel?
do they do a sniffer test? if so pour rubbing alcohol in your tank and drive around.

did they give you a print out?

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Virginia. This is just 2 hours and maybe 15 miles after installing the new coil..and my car runs GREAT. No smoke no sputter it only has 135k on original motor(z6) and no cel

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drove 600 miles throughout the week and just failed the emissions test again..cat is one year old. Any ideas?

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok.
The test I took this week had much better results..everything passed with flying colors except CO at 15mph. It's .81 and the limit is .73

1 - 18 of 18 Posts