Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, is there an idiot fuse somewhere that I'm missing? We got the turbo stuff all figured out, but the car overheats when I'm not moving, probably because the fan never comes on. I'm still running the stock radiator and fan assembly, but whenever I sit still at idle for too long the temp guage creeps way up high, resulting in boiling over. (bad)

I let the car sit in my driveway at idle until the temp came up to see if the fan would come on and it never does. The plug for the radiator fan is connected (it only fits one way), and the water is flowing through the radiator so the thermostat is opening. What gives? It has to be something simple.

Any guesses as to what may be inhibiting my fan turning on?

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Just wire that puppy on a relay to power with the ign. Let it run all the time.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wire that puppy on a relay to power with the ign. Let it run all the time.
That sounds great if I knew how the hell to do that. You wanna do the bradenton meet and give me a lesson?

Or ms paint diagrams will work too.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
just run the power wire to the switch and ground the other one. should be able to turn it on even when the ignition isnt on. had to do that on my old crx but it kept it damn cool.

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
might be a bad ect sensor (engine coolant temperature). its right above the thermostat. you can get a jumper and jump the two wires and see if your fan comes on, if it doesnt its the fan if it does its the sensor. get a multimeter find which of the wires is hot then run that one to a wire thats hot when the ignition is on, ground the other and its your always on fan.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
might be a bad ect sensor (engine coolant temperature). its right above the thermostat. you can get a jumper and jump the two wires and see if your fan comes on, if it doesnt its the fan if it does its the sensor. get a multimeter find which of the wires is hot then run that one to a wire thats hot when the ignition is on, ground the other and its your always on fan.

I'll give it a shot in the morning, thanks.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
i am not sure on this.....if you do wire it to the ignition....wouldnt it cut down Fan life....? if it is running all the time.....?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i just have mine on a toggle switch next to the steering wheel.

allows me to let it warm up faster, then once it gets above the cold line i just flip it on and it runs non stop

just cut the 2 wires coming off the fan right before the plus. extend them a little bit so you can get power from the battery to know which one you want as the positive(so it pulls air), if you have them backwards it will push air. then run the ground to the chassis and the power to the cabin on a toggle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts