Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some sheet metal work for a friend and he gave me this turbo. It looks ebay to me, but it was free. No shaft play, spins fine, he said it lasted a few miles then started to leak oil out the exhaust side so he replaced it. There aren't any brand markings, just A/R .63 on the hot side. 3" inlet, 57mm exhaust, 52mm cold outlet is what I measured so far. Again, it was free... but is it worth a rebuild? I'm going to take it apart to see what's up. It came off an Eclipse; 94 I think.

That brass fitting on the cold side will be removed and TIG filled; other than that it's pretty good looking. Input from the experts? :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Looks like an ebay turbo. She will boost but wouldnt push it pass 10psi. They arent made for much more. And rebuild maybe but are you planing on going turbo? alot more to it then the turbo
Bullshit, I was running 21 on mine and it was fine until I sold the car.

If it's smoking already though it isn't worth your time.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
From other forums it seems like these ebay turbos are hit or miss: some people have good luck, others blow apart within a week/month/etc. I don't know what exactly happened to this one but we'll see what's inside.
I'm not sure which car I'll put it on; I acquired another Celica AllTrac that could use a better turbo than the stock CT26.
I rock a 92 EG for fuel mileage (370 from last tank) since I drive about 60 miles each day to/from work. Sure, I'd like to stick a turbo on the EG but I'm not ready for that yet. I know I need all the piping, FMIC, fuel management and so on... not to sound like a douche but this isn't my first time farting around with boost.

My last AllTrac:

SS piping, FMIC from Saab 9000, remote oil filter and such:

Compare to stock:

Latest Celica... it's a secret project:

If I had the dough I would buy a real turbo, but this was free and if it looks good inside I may rebuild it for shits and grins.
>>Dan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Look up a DIY turbo rebuild and go that route it's not worth the $3-400 to rebuild it properly

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled it apart and sure enough, oil rings are toasted. Looks like something metal was floating around for a second; the area around the oil rings has some scoring... other than that it's pretty nice and new looking.
Here's how I see it:
Free turbo + rebuild kit now > "new" ebay turbo and have to rebuild later

Pics:

Sad oil seals:

Scoring:

If anyone sees anything else funky lemme know; I'm hunting for a rebuild kit tonight. Figured I'd give it a shot, what the hell.

:gir:
>>Dan

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hopefully you don't spit anything into the engine if this turd explodes. If you are willing to only use this setup for 20-30 miles before shit starts hitting the fan then go for it. Personally I think your buddy gave you a garbage turbo. Maybe hes still good for some beer and pizza?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
G-Pop shop sells Garrett rebuild kits for $90 bucks and if you do decide to rebuild make sure to have compressor shaft assembly check for straightness and make sure to have the Comp/Turbine wheels balanced..I rebuilt my first ebay turbo with G-pops rebuild kit and it was a success,but i would never do it again knowing what i know now

·
Registered
764 Posts
The main issue with the eGay turbos is the oil seals are shite. They are not a good quality spring steel that is necessary for a durable turbo. I have rebuilt a lot of the eGay turbos and have also upgraded some and when the build is executed properly they can be just as dependable as any other turbo.

You really need to have the setup balanced properly. It makes all the difference. I can help you with getting them balanced if you would like.

How the fu$k did you come by 2 Alltracs? I can't get lucky and find one.......

Oh and the shitastic CT26 can be upgraded with a lot of different compressor setups. The turbine is more then sufficient to handle 400whp its the compressor that is puny. I have done a CT26 with a T67 compressor before to give you an idea of what is possible. Talk about a sleeper turbo.........

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, as far as this thing goes I'm willing to get it checked out at least; if it's crap then it'll get scrapped. If not, it'll sit on the shelf until I gather more parts for some sort of turbo build. I figure if I clean the holy hell outta everything it should be fine; the "mystery chunk of doom" may not be in the turbo anymore. Some new oil seals, a little un-funking the housing/shaft (haha... shaft) and it should be fine... or at least better than now.

Story of the Celicas:
That blue puppy was a $400 project I bought on a whim and had to get the engine rebuilt .040 over, new crank/rods/pistons, came with that shiny HKS SSQV and a bunch of other $$ parts. The guy got into MR2s so he was just bailing on that car. Lucky me... $3800 in parts later it was traded for an 84 Toyota 4x4 that was almost a built rock crawler. Almost as in: the kid was one of those people who should be banned from vehicle/tool ownership. One example of his wisdom: ran a wire from the fuse block straight to a ground point and burned the entire wire. How it didn't go up I'll never know.

In the middle of the blue build I picked up a black Trac for $90 with a spare engine. Guy gave up on it, was sitting outside for a year and was moving so it had to go. That was sold for $800.

The latest red Trac was listed as an 89 "GTS turbo 2.6" but the fog lights say AllTrac. There's some title issue with it I am still farting around with... but for $400 it's worth it to me.

>>Dan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts