Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to run afew things by with you guys that the shop said today. First off, the spring in my wastegate is a .9bar spring. I am going to get a .4 or a .5 bar. I asked them about my ignition. It is all stock. Stock dizzy and coil. Asked about the size of plug wires and plugs. He told me that the stock dizzy is fine for the amount of boost I want to run, which is about 7psi. The only thing I need to buy is bigger spark plug wires. That I did know. But, what about the rest of it? He said it is all ok. Not needed. I asked about upgrading the ignition coil. Maybe buying a bigger one, one that produces more spark. He said not needed also. Just spark plug wires. I am asking you guys, for two reasons. One is that I really don't have time to learn everything that is involved with building this engine. I wish I did, but I don't. Two is I want to make sure I don't get scammed or that it does get put back together and I ask I am on my way to my house, there is no booms. I am nervous, cause that is a shitload of money I just handed over to them, and I don't know them. So, is it all accurate, or is he feeding me crap. Some things I do know, but overall, he knows I don't know everything or I would have done it myself.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
The fac ign is fine, there are plenty of stock ign high hp turbo set ups out there. I've never heard of having to get bigger plug wires though.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. I really don't plan on high hp yet. I am going to save some money a rebuild the block on my spare engine. Well, thats the plan. Then I'll boost higher. So, even the same spark plugs wires, (maybe new ones) would work, and I can leave everything stock. Cool, saves me some money. Now, how about spark plugs. Should I go one lower, or leave them alone as well? Damn, you guys are quick. :mikej:

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I run NGK bcpr7es in mine. I believe they are one step colder.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Id say nice new stock wires and a one step cooler plug should do it. It's a good sign usually when the shop is telling you not to buy stuff. If they were just after your money they'll usually try to sell you everything in the store at a nice mark up no less LOL.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very true. I did however pony up 350 for AEM wideband sensor and I think the controller/guage. I don't know. He is Chinese and their english isn't completely understanding. And he quoted me on a complete rebuild, putting the motor in my car after taking out the old one, and installing the turbo for 1200. I think thats fair. Not including 140 for dyno time to tune, per hour. Should be under 2k or so. I can't wait till next weekend, when I pick it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ngk 7s with a .030 gap
check your dizzy cap and rotor (replace if needed)
if your going to replace wires dont cheap out get oem replacement
after market ones suck they are for looks only (heard good things about ngks but dont have experience with them)
1200 is not bad, but a rebuild is a waste of money imo you could of spent a bit more and got a minor build and ran more boost
i dont know about the 140 for tune i street tune mine and its good enough for low boost

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ngk 7s with a .030 gap
check your dizzy cap and rotor (replace if needed)
if your going to replace wires dont cheap out get oem replacement
after market ones suck they are for looks only (heard good things about ngks but dont have experience with them)
1200 is not bad, but a rebuild is a waste of money imo you could of spent a bit more and got a minor build and ran more boost
i dont know about the 140 for tune i street tune mine and its good enough for low boost

ok. For the tune, thats part of the rubuild, putting all my aftermarket stuff back in. and the installing it and etc... not bad, cause i ain't really got time to do it. you street tuned? I don't know if I could trust myself into tuning it and doing it right, since I never done it before.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
bisi holds a world record on the stock dizzy w/ upgraded coil

personally I'd wait till the stock coil failed before upgrading it - won't hurt anything if it fails

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
bisi holds a world record on the stock dizzy w/ upgraded coil

personally I'd wait till the stock coil failed before upgrading it - won't hurt anything if it fails
Im just going to leave it all stock except the colder plug. that should be fine. I already got a new rotor and dizz cap. and I'll get new wires too.

I do have a question. is 8.5:1 compression to low a boosted d16z6 at 7 psi?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts