Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone fix this thread lol I don't know how This posted twice but i deleted this one lol sorry im tired...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I got on the dyno today :-D

I woke up this morning to a call from my tuner.. he said cmon dowwwn

The setup:

FJT I beam/vitara z6 block
Micro Polished crank / Clevite 77 Bearings
Ported z6 oil pump
stock y7 head
ARP Head studs
450 dsm injectors
PTE 3231e .48 a/r
Tial Sport 38mm
RS Greddy bov
Fleebay cast manifold.. the one with the WG port on the #1 runner
AND last and LEAST POS F1 racing stage 2 clutch from fleebay

Im still running the stock map sensor and was actually running a 4 lb tial spring in the wg.. i thought it was 5 but anyway we Hooked up a VooDoo Manual boost controller and started tuning and upping the boost to 10.. we planned leaving it at 10 but when he felt the clutch slip he instantly backed off and said hey! I just felt the clutch slip witch made me realize that shitty fleebay stade 2 clutch was not going to hold any more power..

We dialed it back to 9lbs and it seem to hold fine..

On the drive home I got on it in 3rd on the freeway just a bit and felt the damn clutch slip right when it built up 9lbs so I Got off the throttle really fast.. Sooo basically I need a new clutch.

This is my First Motor and Boost Build and I think it came out pretty damn spot on but that damn clutch is raining on my parade.. long story short DONT SKIM ON cheap clutches.. This F1 racing stage 2 was rated at 235hp 215tq so i figured it was worth a shot but now im wishing I went all out and got the Comp. clutch

Any who I'll post some pics and the dyno sheet for you guys.. It made pretty damn good numbers tell the clutch started giving LOL.. *slaps himself*

Im Going to go back tomorrow and have it dialed back to like 6psi so I don't burn the clutch out.

The New clutch is getting ordered as soon as i can afford it. Im also going to be researching A LOT before a make a purchase

Its Funny in the Graph you can see right when the clutch started loosing grip... Those number would have been over 200 easy.. some of us learn the hard way on what parts to stay away from.. for me its Beezeemoto and now F1 racing LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would but I have bills. Im just going to dial it back for a couple weeks tell I get some money together.. This project is far from over! :-D I held boost at 5psi after i felt it slip and it was fine no slipping at all.

I just don't want to totally ruin my clutch before the new one gets here lol because i need my car to get to work.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Nice looking numbers, I cant wait to slap my turbo back on. Dont take it back to have it dialed down, its already been tuned for the 9psi so all you have to do is turn the boost controller down to what you want just dont ever turn it up past what it was tuned at. Also just curious but how many miles were on the clutch and did you drive it easy for the first couple hundred miles? I beat on my new lsd dragger clutch from day one and I think that is why it burned out in about 15,000 miles, my next clutch will be an action from aquafina on here

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice looking numbers, I cant wait to slap my turbo back on. Dont take it back to have it dialed down, its already been tuned for the 9psi so all you have to do is turn the boost controller down to what you want just dont ever turn it up past what it was tuned at. Also just curious but how many miles were on the clutch and did you drive it easy for the first couple hundred miles? I beat on my new lsd dragger clutch from day one and I think that is why it burned out in about 15,000 miles, my next clutch will be an action from aquafina on here
Thanks for the reply,

I was honestly reading a min ago about how if its tuned for 10psi its ok to turn it down and not have a retune or timing adjustment.. I don't believe everything i read online so i was planning on calling rich and asking him over the phone if i can dial it back just to be sure. I'm a strait noob when it comes to turbo stuff lol Im still learning like a lot of us :-D btw the clutch had about 7000 miles on it and I honestly was really easy on it when i broke it in. It chattered from day one and pissed me off the 1st time i drove my car after i rebuilt it.. and I did not trust it from that day on.. It never slipped when i was running around on 4 psi on the street tune so im just going to put it to 5 or 6 lbs. Once my new clutch arrives after i decide what to go with, I might just leave it around 6 or 7lbs, I really like the power it has and i dont really need more, seeing its my DD.*I do like the wastegate staying shut longer tho that fucker gets loud but it sounds so awesome :-D when I take it to pacific raceways to run a quarter mile.. best believe its going to have a tough ass clutch in it and its going to be running 10lbs

oh and it was tuned on chrome pro at 10psi... we turned it down to 9psi after he felt it slip and did 2 more pulls and he said it seemed like it held ok but it doesnt lol that fucker slips.. we talked about it after he was done and we knew it had to be replaced lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im going to look into the action clutches your talking about. thanks for the tip

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
the real question is why the fuck didn't you go to speed factory....I mean you got the guys who wrote the book on fast single slams at your back door....

I had an ebay stage 3 hold over 300whp no problem ....all ebay stg 1/2 are just Chinese stock pressure plates painted a fancy color, typically don't hold any better than a stock clutch....you have to go stage 3 to get a higher clamping pressure plate

im now on a comp stage 5 and love it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cool set up. Do you know what the base timing is set at? I am interested be cause it is a y series head and i plan to tune one.

Also your motor has a lot more potential in I would I would shoot for around 250hp on the retune, probably 15psi or so. Any was have fun with it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sup fellas,

I decided to try this BAHNHOF Stage 3 clutch.. they are made out Florida and they are not reused painted pressure plates, they actually make them in house. Plus Every review i have read that makes decent power, say it held up to a ton of abuse and has never slipped or the pedal felt weak.. I have enough money right now to order it so I'm going to try it out. I figure its only $130 why not. its rated at 315hp 295tq

I took off the boost controller today and am just running 4lbs off of the gate.. I did not slip once today when I was out driving around.. so tell my new clutch gets here i can at least have fun with it.

As for the Timing I'm not trying to be a dick but im not giving out that information. I think people would be annoyed at me if I blabbed out all the info on the tune im running :) sorry

Good luck with your tune

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to double your boost, yo.
My plan is to upgrade the clutch

Fill the motor mounts with window weld

run 10psi and see how long I can make it last :)

I'm not building a race car, just a fun daily driver

Its powerful enough at 10psi. I know its over 200hp if the clutch held and that's more then enough for me. That PTE 3231e is rated at 495hp so I know that sucker can make some series power

Who knows.. If I get bored with it one of these days I might throw a 4 bar in it and really see what we can make but for now im just going to enjoy it on low boost.. Everytime the turbo spools, wg opens, bov lets off It makes me Love my car now hehe :-D

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Why did you remove the boost controller? Might as well leave it on but turned all the way down because they help spool time a tad, probably a bad mistake trying out a random clutch. Sure if you have the money to buy a couple clutches then try out a cheapie at first and give everyone feedback, but if it breaks then your out 2 clutches and no money again

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm willing to take that risk its only $130 and ill have the clutch done in a day.

I hear you though maybe i made a mistake ordering it but all the info i have read about the pressure plates being stronger and the clutch material they use it sounded like a solid clutch.. plus the clutch will only see about 170tq and its rated at 295 so I think that leaves me a nice comfort zone.

I hope to leave a good review in the future after I put it through some abuse

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I removed the boost controller because I did not feel like messing with it.. I just did not have time today. I knew if I just pulled it off it has no chance of seeing more then 4psi. I might install tomorrow if you say it helps with spool time. It pulls pretty good so im not to worried about it.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Im not sure on the ratings but I have heard a d17 pressure plate with a new oem clutch gives you a great feeling pedal with a good support for decent power. The spool time is probably barely noticable but it does help, ive seen that they can help spool time by up to 500rpm. Also the waste gate doesnt just instantly open at your set psi, it slowly opens, say 1/4 at 25% of your boost pressure then 1/2 at 50% boost and so on, its to slowly slow down your exhaust gasses from over spooling the turbo. So when you put in a boost controller your wastegate doesnt even open until it overcomes the mbc

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Do you think Full Tilt doesn't know what he's talking about?

That's why smart people don't like to offer advice, no one listens.

Why did you build a block if you are running less power than what a stock block can handle.?

You should double your boost, or so.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts