Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys whats going on? im looking at getting a honda again(EF hatch) and im making plans right now for the motor... my power goals are 350-400hp... heres what im thinking about:

d16z6
y8 manifold
GSR throttlebody
si transmission
either a ramhorn or top mount manifold(which would you suggest?)
looking at a t3/t4 .60 or gt2871
arp head studs
y8 headgasket(2 layer)
vitaras
eagle h beams with arp rod bolts
GE block gaurd
3.5 downpipe to 3" exhaust
and im looking at milling the head a little bit to try and get c/r to 9.5-10:1

so what do you guys think? am i missing anything? and which turbo would you go with? thanks for all the help
-Josh

·
Banned
424 Posts
hey guys whats going on? im looking at getting a honda again(EF hatch) and im making plans right now for the motor... my power goals are 350-400hp... heres what im thinking about:

d16z6
y8 manifold
GSR throttlebody
si transmission
either a ramhorn or top mount manifold(which would you suggest?)
looking at a t3/t4 .60 or gt2871
arp head studs
y8 headgasket(2 layer)
vitaras
eagle h beams with arp rod bolts
GE block gaurd
3.5 downpipe to 3" exhaust
and im looking at milling the head a little bit to try and get c/r to 9.5-10:1

so what do you guys think? am i missing anything? and which turbo would you go with? thanks for all the help
-Josh
you might want to shoot a little lower on your compression,also 3.5 downpipe is really not practical,i also think throttle body swaps are kinda pointless but i might be unique(retarted)good luck with the build though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to be a prick, but a high(er) compression turbo motor has been a goal of mine for a while... a while back i followed a high compression build on H-T and was impressed with the torque #'s that it put out on the dyno... plus i like to be different lol... your right about the downpipe- i dont know what i was thinking... i guess i just like to eliminate any restriction in the exhaust- same goes with the throttle body... thanks for the input
-Josh

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket x-member? A 3.5" will not clear the stock x-member unless you notch the FAWK out of it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
3.5" dp could fit with a top mount manifold, might need to make a little more room, but can be done. gsr throttle body is a good thing if you dont want to get an aftermarket one. i dont understand why the op said its pointless to "swap" throttle bodies, since most 92+ tb's all bolt up the same. your set up sounds good. you didnt mention fuel management, that will be the key to reach your hp goal. your gonna have to spin either one of those turbos up pretty high to make that power.
9.5c/r in my opinion is perfect. as long as you got a good tune.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as mentioned above, i am still looking for the rolling chassis itself... im just trying to put all the plans together now so nothings rushed... i will be looking at a used jimfab x-member, or possibly a new innovative or explicitspeed x-member
-Josh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3.5" dp could fit with a top mount manifold, might need to make a little more room, but can be done. gsr throttle body is a good thing if you dont want to get an aftermarket one. i dont understand why the op said its pointless to "swap" throttle bodies, since most 92+ tb's all bolt up the same. your set up sounds good. you didnt mention fuel management, that will be the key to reach your hp goal. your gonna have to spin either one of those turbos up pretty high to make that power.
9.5c/r in my opinion is perfect. as long as you got a good tune.
i appreciate the comments... i chose the GSR throttlebody because theyre cheaper than aftermarket, and i can always hone it out if theres a need to... for fuel managment i was looking at some RC 550cc injectors, walbro 255lph, i STILL have my chipped P28 w/chromepro from a few years ago lol
-Josh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck on getting that kind of compression with the Vitaras. You'd have to take off a half inch off the head and the block to get the cr into the 9.5 to 10 range.
really? wow i didnt think that it would be that bad... i was going to use a y8 headgasket and take the middle layer out to help with upping the compression as well... it looks like i might have to fork out even more money and just go with JE or something... great
-Josh

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Good luck on getting that kind of compression with the Vitaras. You'd have to take off a half inch off the head and the block to get the cr into the 9.5 to 10 range.
I agree.
Also, if you are wanting to stay OE w/ the TB due to cost, I'd go with aB16 or H, not the GSR...the GSR would take a little more work for the throttle cable to mount correctly.
A 3" downpipe would be sufficient, I'd also go with an Innovative crossmember. IMO, the first thing on a 88-91 that needs to be removed is the stock crossmember.
For your power goals I'd go with a 50 or 57 trim (.63A/R) and a Mini Ram or Ramhorn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree.
Also, if you are wanting to stay OE w/ the TB due to cost, I'd go with aB16 or H, not the GSR...the GSR would take a little more work for the throttle cable to mount correctly.
A 3" downpipe would be sufficient, I'd also go with an Innovative crossmember. IMO, the first thing on a 88-91 that needs to be removed is the stock crossmember.
For your power goals I'd go with a 50 or 57 trim (.63A/R) and a Mini Ram or Ramhorn.
thanks for the help!! why would a ramhorn be good for my setup? i only listed it b/c i see a lot of high hp setups use them... i dont really know what each design is best for
-Josh

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Check out my thread in the link in my sig. It should give you an idea of what you can expect from a set up like Autoworks mentioned. I'm running one of his ram horns, 3" dp, and a .60/.63 50 trim.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i'm goin with a straightlinespecialties.com topmount once i get my motor build completed. i'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
thanks for the help!! why would a ramhorn be good for my setup? i only listed it b/c i see a lot of high hp setups use them... i dont really know what each design is best for
-Josh
For the power your wanting the ramhorn will be sufficient, it's also a lot more cost effective. Alot of people do use topmounts...and alot of them really don't "need" them for the power they are making.

Check out my thread in the link in my sig. It should give you an idea of what you can expect from a set up like Autoworks mentioned. I'm running one of his ram horns, 3" dp, and a .60/.63 50 trim.
:TU: very clean , well put together setup there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts