Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's the deal, I have a 1989 hatchback si, d16a6....now the guy I got if off of talked alot of shit, and I didn't really care cause I knew I was gettin a good deal on the car regardless...so, he was sayin that he had a zc head put on it, and I just smiled and nodded right, and now my question is this, how do I tell what head I DO have...is there anything to identify it asides pullin it off??
any feedback is great feedback...negative or not!

·
Registered
407 Posts

the term zc gets thrown around a bit. there is the obvious twin cam zc(that i doubt you have) and a few singlecam variants. Why dont you look for a casting mark or number on the head. then we should be able to help. or take a photo

m.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Why dont you look for a casting mark or number on the head. then we should be able to help. or take a photo

m.
Bingo. Casting mark on the head is an ID code/number. There's the SOHC Vtec ZC, aka USDM D16Z6 or the non-Vtec ZC (JDM), aka (USDM)D16A6 (there's a slight difference though... can't quite recall it).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe I saw a number once and it said p28...or something 28, my car is in for suspension work, or else I'd go out and look...I'llhave it back tomorrow and have a good look see and get back to ya...the block is Deffinately the a6...its everything else I'm concerned about!
thanks for the help boys!

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
well the thing is yes p28 is a ecu code but also part of some casting numbers on 92-95 vtec cars

i know that casting numbers are every where on honda and here it gose.

pm5-??? pm6-??? are what u will see on 99% of parts that have casting number on them in a 88-91 car so there is ur best bet if u get a castiong nuber for a head i have a program i type it into and it will tell me what car it came from. good luck and get back to me.

RC

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the a6 block, that I am sure of, its the other parts that buddy claimed to have put on that I am concerned about...and its WHICH 'zc' head I want to know I have...

·
Registered
857 Posts
ok, for my head - pm3-5 is the number, and my tranny is L3 1446780
PM3 head is basic non-vtec used in '88-'91 D15B2 and D16A6 atleast AFAIK, maybe in newer D15B7 too etc..
L3 is basic 5-speed manual tranny also used with those engines in '88-'91.

What engine code does it say in block? looking left from header, flat part around block/tranny surface.
AFAIK "ZC" has nothing different compared to A6. Not even cam.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM3 head is basic non-vtec used in '88-'91 D15B2 and D16A6 atleast AFAIK, maybe in newer D15B7 too etc..
L3 is basic 5-speed manual tranny also used with those engines in '88-'91.

What engine code does it say in block? looking left from header, flat part around block/tranny surface.
AFAIK "ZC" has nothing different compared to A6. Not even cam.
I already know its a d16a6, and where the identification #s are...I'm not as slow as some may think lol! but when I bought the car, I was well aware of the swaps that alot of people do, and I was just tryin to find out whether or not I had a y7/8 head or not..the tranny, I was just curious, the car moves forward, and for now that is good enough for me...but thanks for the extra info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts