Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the suspension in my car but I'm not sure what to buy, I want my car to just be less bumpy and hard on my back when driving. I want performance but still something I can comfortably drive in for around 2grand or less.

Car is a 98 coupe with 168k miles it has aftermarket springs but idk what kind .

I was looking at gettin bushings and coilovers would that be all I need to make it a more enjoyable ride?

Also should ask if I want to just replace the whole suspension what do I need
Springs/shocks
Bushings
Camber kits?
Tie rod
I don't know what else is need

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I'm looking at one of the Eibach complete kits the problem I have is I don't know how to put springs on shocks.
Think I can find a shop who would put the springs on for me?

·
Registered
Eg Sedan
133 Posts
Did you say your budget was $2,000?

If yes, Koni yellow sport shocks and ground control coilover sleeves will be shoved down your throat. Why? Because it's a great combo, custom spring rates, rebound rate and dampening on shocks.

H&r sport lowering springs are rather soft with Koni oranges.

If you want a full coilover, check out Progress cs-II's, again custom spring rates

For bushings I would personally get hard race bushings, but you wanna soft ride so not too sure.

Camber kit is not needed in this situation. Those are only needed when your car absolutely floored and on the ground.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So to get something that doesn't make the back seat passengers head hit the ceiling I should get the H&Rs with the orange?

Then where could I get the two put together i don't know my way around suspension stuff, would a regular auto shop do it? Or maybe a tuner shop?

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
Get the koni yellows with ground control springs. Do it yourself man it's easy! Research DIYs on it there's only a few nuts and bolts involved. I'll try and find the DIY thread I used and post it up, I just did mine a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
My .02.

1) Stock or oem replacement shocks, kyb gr2 or another.
2) Springs, eibach are the best bang for the buck in my opinion for a daily.
3) Bushings, go ES for the LCAs, OEM for the RTA, and good ball joints.
4) Tires, good rubber saves lives, lol.
5) Tie rods, in and out.

Just did this for my DD and I am liking it.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
I am with Whosot on alot of this. I have eibach sportlines and love them for my DD. Just enough low and not a harsh ride. Bushings I would go with OEM only in the RTA and if you want a soft ride then OEM everywhere. Also freshen up the motor mounts with some new ones and I think ES offers a motor mount insert to stiffen them up a little.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
For your daily on a budget, you will feel the most difference from new bushings and new "good" tires with light weight wheel. Light wheels helps handling but may push your budget out. From there go with shocks and springs. If you still have money to blow, come back and let us know....

But as someone already said, on 2k budget...

Koni yellows and GC custom coilovers = $950-1k <== great proven setup

new bushings depending on what brand you get $150-$280 for complete set

RTA bushings $25 per - you need two

Should leave plenty for wheels and tires... May need to come up with dough for labor, or find a buddy with a press.

ONLY by the camber kit when you actually need it.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I need a camber kit to correct my rear wheels with my eibachs. Otherwise I will continue to eat my rear inside tires up.
Yes because the Eibachs are a set drop... sport lines are 2.0 in the back??

The GC coils he can adjust the height to his desire, which is why i suggested he leave them until he actually needs them.. But rear cambers can be had for $90 for a good set. You can always rock ebay crap but I dont trust it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts