Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throw out bearing is going out in my tranny and my buddy offered to help me replace the clutch and all that. While I'm THERE, I was to throw in a lightwieght flywheel. I was looking at the 12.5 ACT flywheel from modacar for $209, should be good, right?

Also, it'll be awhile before I start stepping up the power, so should I even worry about getting an aftermarket clutch, or just go OE? My later plans are ~200WHP turbo'd, but that probably won't be for at least a year.

I'm also kicking aroung the idea of picking up an OBX LSD as well. I can afford it, I think. Where can I get a good deal on those?

As always, I'm gonna do some poking around, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Love my ACT ProLite 8lbs flywheel and Xtreme XTSS clutch. XTSS should be enough for 270lbft torque, see their application sheet. LSD is very good idea too imo.

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
I've got the Exedy 11 pounder and Stage 1 fullface organic and love it. Its supposed to be good to this:

Torque Capacity Increase: 69%
Horsepower Rating: 300 HP at the crank / Torque Capacity: 298 ft / lbs

I got the whole setup for $425 shipped off Gripforce on Ebay. Great way to go IMO.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
I have the act 12.5lb flywheel along with an Exedy stage 1 organic clutch and it is one awesome combo. I am pushing more power now than what is in my sig and it holds it very nicely and is also very streetable.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the act 12.5lb flywheel along with an Exedy stage 1 organic clutch and it is one awesome combo. I am pushing more power now than what is in my sig and it holds it very nicely and is also very streetable.
Any suggestions where I can buy that cheaper than modacar? Also, how's shifting with the flywheel? You you do much heel-toe or double-clutching and how well does that do it?

I guess I should go aftermarket clutch then? :D I know I'll be buying that ACT 12.5 FW, but I'm still unsure on the clutch.

Also, I know I need to replace the Pressure Plate and Throw out bearing, anything else? Isn't there a couple other bearing that could cause the same noise as a throw out bearing going out? I don't want to put this all back together and NOT fix the problem.

Speaking of, let me describe. I let the clutch out in neutral and I get a spinning, grinding noise. Put the clutch down, no noise. I read somewhere that someone with the same problem replaced their TO bearing and it didn't fix the problem, so I just want to make sure that doesnt happen.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
Most clutch setups include a new throwout bearing in the deal and all clutches should include a new pressure plate. Please do yourself a favor and check this link out:
Ebay Item 150047859137

$379 plus shipping and its exactly the same as the Exedy one they sell for $587 plus shipping. They just can't advertise it as Exedy. Do a search on Gripforce on this site for a couple threads I did on this setup if you're curious.

The only other bearing is the pilot bearing in the flywheel, that may cause noise as well. If you by a new FW it should come with a new pilot bearing.

Why would you want to double clutch? Modern transmissions have synchros now which eliminate the need for double clutching. Its a waste of time, but keep doing itif you want, its free exercise for your left leg.

Shifting with that setup (11 pound flywheel) is the cat's meow. Firm shift - up and down - I can't say enough how happy I am with it.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most clutch setups include a new throwout bearing in the deal and all clutches should include a new pressure plate. Please do yourself a favor and check this link out:
Ebay Item 150047859137

$379 plus shipping and its exactly the same as the Exedy one they sell for $587 plus shipping. They just can't advertise it as Exedy. Do a search on Gripforce on this site for a couple threads I did on this setup if you're curious.

The only other bearing is the pilot bearing in the flywheel, that may cause noise as well. If you by a new FW it should come with a new pilot bearing.

Why would you want to double clutch? Modern transmissions have synchros now which eliminate the need for double clutching. Its a waste of time, but keep doing itif you want, its free exercise for your left leg.

Shifting with that setup (11 pound flywheel) is the cat's meow. Firm shift - up and down - I can't say enough how happy I am with it.
Cause with DCing and heel-toe I can downshift instantly. With the new flywheel I'm be able to do so even faster. Also, by RPM matching, my clutching is smooth as silk 80% of the time. I can't stand the feeling of downshifting without matching the RPM, and I don't use much force on my shifter when shifting, meaning I don't make much use of the synchros. If you like taking twisty backroads, heel-toe downshifting it the only way to downshift. It's one of the first techniques they teach at Skip Barber Racing School (on laguna seca). You'll just have to ride with someone that knows how to do it to understand.

Thanks for the link!

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thats deal seems too good to be true. Can anyone backup speedfoos and recommend that clutch/flywheel set he linked to? That would be sweet if it's decent. I'm not going to try to make over 200wHP, so I don't need top of the line. I just want a lightwieght flywheel (over 10lbs) and a clutch that will work.

Any backers?

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
Consider me informed on the DCing then. Rep for you.

I don't have anything to do with the Gripforce guys, I just had a good experience with them and you can't beat the deal. I was skeptical at first too, then I emailed them, asked a bunch of questions, got the right answers, and bought the setup. Check the part numbers - just take the GRC off them - and look at a different website's Exedy offerings. Either way, hope whatever setup you get works out for you.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the advice and I think you are steering me right, I just like a lot of reassurance. Even if it's not perfect quality, I think it'll be fine for me. I was mainly gonna gave someone a chance to say "dont do it!" in case theres any reason for someone to nay say it. :D If no one steps up, I think I'll buy it.

So how long have you had the setup?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.