Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

So I have almost "finished" installing my turbo kit with the GEM manifold. After this, only thing left is to update the injectors and do the proper tune up to the ECU.

I have a problem tho. After installing the GEM, I started the car and it kept reving up from 1-4k.

There are no air leaks (or at least I couldn't find one) from the GEM. The only way to "fix" this is by putting my hand on the throttle hole and slowly pull it out until the "correct" amount of air goes into the manifold.

Any idea what could be be wrong?

I also noticed that the GEM pulls a LOT of air, my hand gets sucked pretty hard compared to the stock manifold, I'm assuming this is normal?

Thanks for your help, here's the video:

youtu.be/uitJognLHRQ (sry, still can't post/embed links)

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
could be that you need to adjust the IAC, or the curb side idle screw on the side of the TB

make sure that the TB blade is not tilted too much and that the accelerator cable is not in a bind

Reactions: Sac*HXy5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys.

goddammit do I feel stupid. Turns out the OEM throttle body is too small, so there's a hole on the bottom side which you can't see from the top. you need to wrap it with a cloth or do some real measuring to notice the difference.

I need a bigger throttle body.

recommendations?

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
grab something the same size or a mm smaller in diameter than your manifold inlet. as far as oe goes, the type r is 62mm and your largest available as far as i know. after that its aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the biggest one I've seen for this manifold is 70mm, a Skunk2.

skunk2.com/alpha/alpha-throttle-bodies/alpha-throttle-body-646.html

most of the builds I've found are using 68mm, either with GEM or Skunk2 manifold.

I think I'll grab this one as I do plan to waste more money in the future to get higher gains.

unless you guys think it's a big mistake?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts