Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short I let my d16y8 run out of oil about 6 years ago got my motor swapped out with a D16y5 (All I could find at the time and had to have a car) So I still have my D16y8 and been doing some reading and seen that I could just pop the D16y8 head on it. My car still has the D16y8 ecu and all so my question is…This is possible correct to put a D16y8 head on a D16y5 block without any crazy modifications? From what I’ve researched the answer is yes but the only stupid question is the one not asked. Don’t want to get started and then all of a sudden one of the posts ive read forgot to mention a off the wall modification that had to be done first.

More questions

1. Anything else I need to do while the heads off?
2. Can this be done with the motor still in the car?
3. Any special tools that I will need?
4. Are there any small modifications that I could perform while doing this that would get me any extra horse power?
5. Would it be better just rebuilding my D16y8 from the ground up and putting it back in my car?
I don’t want 400whp or anything just enough power to pass cars and the low rpm response that the y8 had compared to the Y5. So if this is achievable with the Y5 with the Y8 head on it them I’m set. I just use this car to drive back and forth to work and for road trips and all.

Thank you all for the help and for my ignorance on this topic,

Shadow

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts
1) you might have to have the head milled for flatness.
new mls headgasket
new head bolts
might as well do the water pump, tensioner, and timing belt while youre there

2) yes

3) crank removal tool maybe

4) adjustable timing gear?

5) would take longer, but would be a "new" engine again. cant hurt to have a spare

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a question if u dont mind...what about if your just upgrading the internals in the y5 head would I be able to just order my parts under y8? Cuz finding actual y5 upgrades is like looking for big foot for me. So let's just say Like a stage 3 cam,valves,springs so on and so forth since you have to adjust them to the cam anyways..

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I would NEVER recommend using a cylinder head that was on an engine that ran out of oil.

The ONLY exception would be AFTER a machine shop has inspected it for cracking and warping, as lack of oil overheats the engine, and also, does a very good cleaning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts