Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 hatch
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going to start my build soon. i plan on using the greddy kit again, just for the "legallity" issue here in CA. plans are to have the 15g upgraded with the 19t wheel and use autoworks 2.5inch dp. im going to try to have this as close to 250whp as possible. since this is a daily, im going to redo the bottom end. questions, ive been doing some reading/searching, i plan on using vitaras, but what rods? i read tt rods drop cr to around 7.5:1? what about eagles? im still learning this cr stuff so bear with with.
with cr so low, it would make the car super sluggish not in boost right? could i use the fjt custom rods to up my compression?

what would the ideal cr be for a daily driver? and are there any downsides to such a low cr?

·
Registered
301 Posts
it COULD affect your off boost power somewhat I don't have any first hand experience with that. Again I am saying COULD,but you could see better on boost power so hopefully someone with real world experience could chime in and tell you more

·
Registered
89 hatch
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it COULD affect your off boost power somewhat I don't have any first hand experience with that. Again I am saying COULD,but you could see better on boost power so hopefully someone with real world experience could chime in and tell you more
havent seen you on in awhile. still running that edelbrock kit? stock block too right?

·
Happy LiL Trees....
1,245 Posts
Sounds like a fun build! As far as the Greddy kit being "legal", as soon as you change anything that the kit originally came with, the executive order to exempt it is void.

I'm in Cali also and have been looking into using the Greddy kit myself, but I have yet to find a solid answer on if it will really pass a visual inspection.

I've heard also that only the fuel management that was with the kit when it was exempted back in 1999 is "legal", supposedly. There is so much misinformation on this kit online it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
89 hatch
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a fun build! As far as the Greddy kit being "legal", as soon as you change anything that the kit originally came with, the executive order to exempt it is void.

I'm in Cali also and have been looking into using the Greddy kit myself, but I have yet to find a solid answer on if it will really pass a visual inspection.

I've heard also that only the fuel management that was with the kit when it was exempted back in 1999 is "legal", supposedly. There is so much misinformation on this kit online it's ridiculous.
i know that changing anything on the kit is "illegal". but my buddy passed smog with the greddy kit, greddy fmic kit, and bov...but he was using the black box. i want to go with the greddy kit incase i get pulled over for something dumb. i can show the carb certificate i have for my old greddy kit. how will they know if my dp is upgraded or my turbo wheel is different?

·
Happy LiL Trees....
1,245 Posts
i know that changing anything on the kit is "illegal". but my buddy passed smog with the greddy kit, greddy fmic kit, and bov...but he was using the black box. i want to go with the greddy kit incase i get pulled over for something dumb. i can show the carb certificate i have for my old greddy kit. how will they know if my dp is upgraded or my turbo wheel is different?
Yeah in getting pulled over I understand, most cops wouldn't know if all the parts are there or not, but the whole CARB and E.O. # isn't magic unfortunately, and cops here in socal go ballistic when the see anything turbo no matter what paper your showing them. Down here the cops know there Honda's pretty good.

I'm only bringing this up because I want to put that kit on my car and I want to pass smog and visual, and/of if I get pulled over I want them to realize that I have the GReddy kit and leave me alone....but in reality it doesn't work that way. One day maybe...

I hope all goes well with your build from one Cali brother to another!

·
Registered
610 Posts
so im going to start my build soon. i plan on using the greddy kit again, just for the "legallity" issue here in CA. plans are to have the 15g upgraded with the 19t wheel and use autoworks 2.5inch dp. im going to try to have this as close to 250whp as possible. since this is a daily, im going to redo the bottom end. questions, ive been doing some reading/searching, i plan on using vitaras, but what rods? i read tt rods drop cr to around 7.5:1? what about eagles? im still learning this cr stuff so bear with with.
with cr so low, it would make the car super sluggish not in boost right? could i use the fjt custom rods to up my compression?

what would the ideal cr be for a daily driver? and are there any downsides to such a low cr?
Its not the rods that drop your compression, its the vitaras. Because the deep dish, and the cross pin (or whatever its called :p The pin that connects the piston and the rod) sits higher in the piston than other d-series pistons. Both Eagles and TT rods are stock length, so they do the same thing. The fjt custom rods however, are specially made for the vitaras and will bring the compression up ~1 point because they are longer than the other rods.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
dont kill me for pullin on my v-8 experience but... for a daily driven n/a car that your lookin to up the compression ratio its what maybe 9 or 10 to 1 stock? push it to eleven or maybe twelve im assuming you can just pop some aftermarket high compression pistons in their like with a sbc, i hate having the head shaved personally

1 - 12 of 12 Posts