Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at the end of winter, I will have some money to put on my car, so I was wondering: which first: body or suspension ?

Suspension would include: Shock-Spring-Bushing-Rims-Tire

Tire as to be changed in any case.

For the body (pic below), I already have the front bumper, the 2 front panel, and I have the hood from another car.

And I know lots of people will tell me to change the car, but simply answer that IF YOU HAD TO KEEP IT, how would you do it.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Option one, no contest. You don't have to look great to handle great!! Are you planning on replacing the body parts with OEM parts? I'd go for suspension first, then motor, then pretty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ditto #1...and yes, function before form.
my '88 lx looks like a pos, but i've poured in prob. over 3g's for the zc swap, suspension upgrades, stereo & remote starter, alarm, etc. everyone looks at my car & says what a pos!!! but they don't know the money & labor of love that went into it. so you need to ask yourself if you're a ricer or a fanatic.
my def:
ricer = all show no go
fanatic = sleeper!!

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Suspension first! I have a fucked up quarter panel, but I'm still doing my suspension first. Well, and my buddy who does body work can't get to it yet ;).

Yet another reason I love these forums, everyone takes function over form...

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
Yet another reason I love these forums, everyone takes function over form...
well almost. my 91 CRX Si had some rust on it so I fixed the body first. it did help that at the time I worked in a bodyshop and got a discount on all the matireals I used.:p (I'm a cheap ass what can I say.) But if I could go back and do it again I'd leave my car the teal color it was and build suspension first. I love my car but I'm scared to push it too much more going into corners.

Drows said:
And I know lots of people will tell me to change the car, but simply answer that IF YOU HAD TO KEEP IT, how would you do it.
what are you talking about... if you don't what your car I'll gladly take it off your hands..... its a d-series forum many people love the CRX..... like me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
(I'm a cheap ass what can I say.)
no the pc thing to say these days is "price sensitive." and yes i'm price sensitive too since i have too many toys!!! gotta make the dollar stretch like a spandex on jlow's ass to keep this honda habit among other things!!!

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
no the pc thing to say these days is "price sensitive." and yes i'm price sensitive too since i have too many toys!!! gotta make the dollar stretch like a spandex on jlow's ass to keep this honda habit among other things!!!
price sensitive ftw!!!

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
I'm as price sensitive as they come, ask Remoer. I'm doing the Body 1st on my current prodject, but I work @ a body shop. I get the materials for free & I'm the manager (& my dad's the owner) so I'm not going to get fired for working on my toys 'on the clock'.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm as price sensitive as they come, ask Remoer. I'm doing the Body 1st on my current prodject, but I work @ a body shop. I get the materials for free & I'm the manager (& my dad's the owner) so I'm not going to get fired for working on my toys 'on the clock'.
damn you guys w/ access to a body shop...that's the one thing i'm bad at. i've done some body work but don't have the patience for it. i can wrench all day w/out a problem but i can't stand all the sanding/mudding/resanding/remudding...and then spray, then sand some more, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what are you talking about... if you don't what your car I'll gladly take it off your hands..... its a d-series forum many people love the CRX..... like me.
I've asked on another forum and so far here what people answered me:

6 people told me to go for suspension
7 people told me to go for body
8 people told me to sell it.

So I wanted to make it clear that it wasnt included as an answer ^^

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
:wtf: Price Sensitive.......Political correctness has now gone too far. :cussing:

Oh, and suspension first FTW. You should see the POS I'm working w/. It's rusted to hell and will still have a Turbo H23 swapped into it before and major body work.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
suspension first and foremost. a stock engine with a properly built suspension can be quite a contender. i have a d15b7 with i/h/e but my suspension has been reworked from the ground up and it handles like a dream. i watched an oldsmobile aurora with the northstar v8 and a younger gentleman behind the wheel get smaller in my rearview on the twisties just outside of town here along the river :TU:.

here is what i have that works wonders for me:

oem honda 14x5.5 del sol si wheels
195/60/14 all-season bfg tires
tokico illumina adjustable shocks
progress 2" drop sport springs
generic strut tie bars (front and rear, upper and lower)
front 21mm si stabilizer bar conversion
energy suspension poly bushing master set
energy suspension rear trailing arm bushings
energy suspension motor mount inserts

i'm making some changes to the above lineup but that is what i rode on this summer and it impressed me greatly. even with the all season tires, the car still kicked some serious ass in the corners (i shudder to think of what it could do with a SERIOUSLY sticky tire like the azenis :eek:). based on what i WANT the car to do, these are my planned upgrades:

24mm gsr front bar
rear ITR bar with ASR brace
integra front lower subframe brace
pasword:jdm solid tie bars (uppers)
15x6.5 wheels with falken azenis tires OR keep my del sol wheels and go with the 195/60/14 azenis tires (depending on the money)

usually with an exterior like we see on that crx, it will be a prelude to what the underbody may look like. if you can afford it and and have the resurces at your disposal to make it so, i would do the following:
  1. remove the suspension from the car. if you can afford the downtime, put it on jackstands and do it all at once. if you need to have the car mobile by monday morning, do one corner at a time
  2. inspect all suspension components for wear, damage or any play whatsoever and replace as required. no sense putting in brand new illumina shocks, H&R springs and suspension techniques stabilizer bars on if your tie rods or ball joints are shot. **REMEMBER** upgrading your suspension includes replacing worn parts FIRST AND FOREMOST
  3. install a polyurethane bushing master set from energy suspension or prothane (ES is what i have on my own car and i love them) because your bushings are likely on their way out, if not already.
  4. determine what your needs are for your car, keeping in mind longevity, maintenance and price i.e. you dont need mugen mf10Ls wrapped in advan ao32rs on custom valved konis and custom rate ground control coilovers if you're using it as a daily driver or just want a better handling for the street.
  5. do your homework on different brands and combinations of parts. that means surfing web forums and reading or asking questions (use the SEARCH button whenever possible), talking to people at shows or the track and see what works well for them and what didn't.
  6. draw up a list of parts to buy then get out your credit card :TU: :D
honestly, you can get all the info you need here on the site. and i'm sure you can probably find a vendor or two or even a link to one so it's almost like a one-stop shopping superstore here :D

IMO putting together a suspension should not be taken or done lightly. it is the one thing that keeps your car off the ground aside from wheels and tires and bad choices with poor products can produce unfavourable results.

just my $0.02 and then some ;)

p.s. yes it's long and yes i have nothing better to do today :p. it raining here lol

Reactions: boostdelinquent

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
neon lights and ebay dress-up kit :haha:
id go with # 1 with a good slam ,the body can wait

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
suspension first and foremost. a stock engine with a properly built suspension can be quite a contender. i have a d15b7 with i/h/e but my suspension has been reworked from the ground up and it handles like a dream. i watched an oldsmobile aurora with the northstar v8 and a younger gentleman behind the wheel get smaller in my rearview on the twisties just outside of town here along the river :TU:.

here is what i have that works wonders for me:

oem honda 14x5.5 del sol si wheels
195/60/14 all-season bfg tires
tokico illumina adjustable shocks
progress 2" drop sport springs
generic strut tie bars (front and rear, upper and lower)
front 21mm si stabilizer bar conversion
energy suspension poly bushing master set
energy suspension rear trailing arm bushings
energy suspension motor mount inserts

i'm making some changes to the above lineup but that is what i rode on this summer and it impressed me greatly. even with the all season tires, the car still kicked some serious ass in the corners (i shudder to think of what it could do with a SERIOUSLY sticky tire like the azenis :eek:). based on what i WANT the car to do, these are my planned upgrades:

24mm gsr front bar
rear ITR bar with ASR brace
integra front lower subframe brace
pasword:jdm solid tie bars (uppers)
15x6.5 wheels with falken azenis tires OR keep my del sol wheels and go with the 195/60/14 azenis tires (depending on the money)

usually with an exterior like we see on that crx, it will be a prelude to what the underbody may look like. if you can afford it and and have the resurces at your disposal to make it so, i would do the following:
  1. remove the suspension from the car. if you can afford the downtime, put it on jackstands and do it all at once. if you need to have the car mobile by monday morning, do one corner at a time
  2. inspect all suspension components for wear, damage or any play whatsoever and replace as required. no sense putting in brand new illumina shocks, H&R springs and suspension techniques stabilizer bars on if your tie rods or ball joints are shot. **REMEMBER** upgrading your suspension includes replacing worn parts FIRST AND FOREMOST
  3. install a polyurethane bushing master set from energy suspension or prothane (ES is what i have on my own car and i love them) because your bushings are likely on their way out, if not already.
  4. determine what your needs are for your car, keeping in mind longevity, maintenance and price i.e. you dont need mugen mf10Ls wrapped in advan ao32rs on custom valved konis and custom rate ground control coilovers if you're using it as a daily driver or just want a better handling for the street.
  5. do your homework on different brands and combinations of parts. that means surfing web forums and reading or asking questions (use the SEARCH button whenever possible), talking to people at shows or the track and see what works well for them and what didn't.
  6. draw up a list of parts to buy then get out your credit card :TU: :D
honestly, you can get all the info you need here on the site. and i'm sure you can probably find a vendor or two or even a link to one so it's almost like a one-stop shopping superstore here :D

IMO putting together a suspension should not be taken or done lightly. it is the one thing that keeps your car off the ground aside from wheels and tires and bad choices with poor products can produce unfavourable results.

just my $0.02 and then some ;)

p.s. yes it's long and yes i have nothing better to do today :p. it raining here lol
Great info Steve-O. This should def. give him a better idea as to what he should do for his car. :TU:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts