Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a del Sol for a friend who is flying cross country to get it and driving it back home.
I'm not after horsepower.... 110-130 is plenty.
So flow and reliability are my only two concerns. So I am thinking getting a b7 block, z6 head with b7 cam and cam gear (don't want vtec cause it burns oil) vtec block off plate. And a y8 head. Also considering going with beefier rods. Car will only be allowed to rev to stock limit of 7200. Other than the rods and block off plate, I want to use as many OE or OEM parts as possible.

The motor will get a complete rebuild. If you have any recommendation on parts please let me know. Car will get a short ram and a full custom exhaust.

My questions are:
Does any other set up flow better?
Any issues with block off plates in terms of reliability?
Would I be better just leaving the vtec solenoid bolted on and unplugged?
Is it even worth a z6 head for the better flow if I'm running non vtec internals?
Being a vtec head but non vtec cam is it okay to rev it the extra 300 rpms even though its not a true vtec motor?
If I do go b7 block z6 head with b7 cam and cam gear will I have any timing issues?
Any good brand pistons (with stock compression ratios {9.1-9.6}) to run if I can't find any new oem?
Any recommendations for the head, valves, springs, retainers, anything? Open to ideas even though I do want mostly stock.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,306 Posts
why make it that much harder?

d16a6 block and head.

y8 intake.

??

profit.

oh yeah

s

e

a

r

c

h

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
non VTEC 88-95 cam doesn't work in the VTEC head....

VTEC doesn't burn oil...

short ram intake loses power and tq, as tested in 1998 and 1999.

·
Registered
50 Posts
why make it that much harder?

d16a6 block and head.

y8 intake.

yup.

If you don't want VTEC op, then don't bother with a VTEC head . . . this isn't a b-series where the VTEC heads are noticeably better. While I'd argue the z6 head is the best d-series head, it isn't worth much when your setup is basically a stock rebuild AND you don't want VTEC.

Secondly, why limit yourself on displacement? Get a complete a6 or y7 motor and run that with the y8 intake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my research before posting
I want fuel economy too. I figured it was implied with flow, I want efficiency.
Whats the big difference between a a6 and a b7? aside from 100 cubic centimeters? Also I have to have at least a 93 block because its going to a damn emission/inspection state. So no I can't use a crx d16a6

Short ram is less power than a stock airbox?
Also I do like the b7's my first and only b7 got 375k being beaten to hell since i got it at 329k and still more reliable than my 2007 camry on its fourth motor. I scrapped the body cause of rust and kept the motor and trans. I seriously considered honing it and replacing internals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't there some major differences in the journals? like the number of holes for oil to flow through between the b7 and y7?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,306 Posts
see, if you did search, you would have answered your own questions.....

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
B7/Z6 mini me - I/H/E - 38+ FWY mpg (in a sedan ... got 47 mpg one trip). Change to z6 transmission for extra fun - and approximately same mpg. VTEC doesn't burn oil unless something is broken, like valve stem seals, valve cover gasket, rings, etc. Even making almost 200 whp my engine never burned a drop after it was freshened up.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts