Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I never made a showcase thread for my del sol, or my GSR, or my S2k (yet?)

but I have to make one for godzilla!

so I've wanted a skyline since first using an R32 GTS4 as my first car and dominating all in Gran Turismo 2 back in 2000, I didn't feel like making another FWD wheelspin machine out of my GSR - when I rebuilt the motor, I opened the ring gaps up and was about to slap on a go-autoworks kit and shoot for 400whp. but I saw a thread on oppositelock about how a guy imported an R32 GTS-t and to his door was only out something like $7k, and started watching pacific coast auto's review videos - so I began the search for an R32 GTS-4 on the japanese car auction sites. however, my exporter told me it's like a 5:1 ratio of GTRs to GTS-ts, and a 5:1 ratio of GTS-t's to GTS4s anymore.

somehow, no one wanted the GTS4 even though it's only an RB26 away from being godzilla! perfect! So I sold the GSR, sold my ninja, and saved up every bonus, commission check, and every spare dollar, watching the Yen/Dollar exchange rate like a hawk, so much so, my coworkers gave me shit and asked me all the time about how the Yen was doing. I was waiting for a non-haggard GTS4 to appear, but none came. By this point, I'd saved quite a bit, enough to take a crack at GT-Rs even. I bid on a few cars and just missed out on a few, and finally an interesting one came up - one owner, only 52k miles, gunmetal grey, no rust, and stock (rare anymore!)
the only kicker? the thing's definitely sat outside for 25 years. The paint is pretty much trash, the hood and roof are oxidized all to hell and the paint has actually burned off the mirror tops. the steering wheel, shift knob, shift boot, etc. were all absolutely destroyed by the sun. So I bought it, knowing the interior stuff I can fix and I'll just get it painted. That was October 30th - paid for the car (ouch.) in full on 11/5, it shipped 12/15, and arrived in baltimore on 1/23 - it cleared customs and I got to pick it up on 1/29

as I loaded it for towing back home

got to drive it for about 100 ft to get it out of the parking lot to the trailer - look at that haggard ass wheel!

so I get it home and try and start it to get it off the trailer - not even a sputter. I bring a jump-box, still dead. I finally pull my accord up on the wrong side of the road (some broad was pissy I was doing it on her street but whatever, fuck her) and get it going with jumper cables. I figured the battery would be low, but that fucker was deaaaad

(that's right after turning the car off)
I put it on a charger and I could hear it boiling the electrolyte!)

so I had to find a new battery to fit the weird jap battery box/tray. nothing seemed to be a good fit... until I started going outside the box. I ended up with this, it's a tractor battery :fingersx:

(those are "engineered" wood spacers, :lol: )

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I had to snip off the weird jap pencil post nonsense for good old fashioned 'murrcan flag terminals

I ran that ground wire because I had it laying around, probably won't stay.

so, first things to fix - that fucked up shift knob and shift boot, and that wacky jap stereo that wouldn't work in the US (their FM is a weird range, and the AM increment is 9. NINE, not 10, so like 600, 609, 618, 627, etc., retarded)

so a new pioneer headunit and a suede boot and delrin knob that's a much lighter shade of blue than I wanted go in!

little trick to feed the USB easily - there was a little window for the light into the ashtray and I just dremelled out a slightly bigger hole!

I knew I wanted to do a nice stereo in this car, so I'd already bought some alpine type-S coaxes. standard 6.5 for the rear, but a weird (because japan!) 4x6 set for the fronts. They still weren't 100% for fit so I had to foam-line the hole and screw into the plastic. Whatever, they sound pretty good!

and then for two weeks it was too fucking cold to work in the garage, even with my kerosene heater, so it sat.

then, this weekend, I got a bunch of stuff done:
- I found a yen!

and put the rear speakers in in the process.

and I pulled off the haggard wheel and replaced it with this new hotness:
Momo Monte Carlo, and the direct from japan OKB hub adapter that'll keep my HICAS from freaking out!

compare views:

vs

much better!

I also did drop-in HIDs, replaced the air filter, and replaced the spark plugs, which only took about 5 times as long as a B/D/F/H honda takes for the same work...

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
next things to do:
-continue waiting for PA DMV to get off their ass and issue my plate!
-fix the clock, it bugs me
-figure out why the car's blower motor gets full power as long as the key is turned to ACC, I already replaced the climate control unit because the original one had a semi-dead screen, so this will be fun
-install my sub/box/amp and finish the stereo, it sounds decent, but it can't get very loud and it clips on bass a little bit.
-get my new tires mounted, the originals have dry-rot so bad it's deeper than the tread that's left
-get it painted, probably mid-spring before the humidity hits

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sweet car man! I love that wheel, need some outside pics of its ugliness. How pricey are the parts for one of these?

·
Registered
99 Posts
So what is your initial impression of the car? Or have you had the chance to drive it yet to make an impression?

·
Registered
567 Posts
awesome! can't wait to see how this turns out

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Kinda jelly yo.

Bring me up to speed.

Can you get it tagged and insured cause its over 25 years old? Any preinspections and/or certifications needed from the DMV to get it tagged?

Also any hiccups while going through customs?

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what is your initial impression of the car? Or have you had the chance to drive it yet to make an impression?
just on and off the trailer, and then into my garage... only first impression is the steering is really nicely weighted

Kinda jelly yo.

Bring me up to speed.

Can you get it tagged and insured cause its over 25 years old? Any preinspections and/or certifications needed from the DMV to get it tagged?

Also any hiccups while going through customs?
yeah, anything over 25 years can be brought over and tagged, no emissions or safety requirements need to be met. The thing that's taking so long with the plate is that it's an import, so it doesn't have any US title to transfer; it's done with the export certificate, bill of lading, and commercial invoice from the exporter

nope, no problems at all, just went to the port with my big stack of paperwork and they got my car and brought it out

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet car man! I love that wheel, need some outside pics of its ugliness. How pricey are the parts for one of these?
depends on the part, mostly it's because there aren't a bunch being parted out here, so weird stuff is expensive due to shipping from japan, but overall yeah, it's no 90's honda, certain things are ridiculous (a full window seal/trim set is over $2k)

amazingly, lots of OE parts from 1990 are still being made by nissan, which is nice.
besides the interior electronics, you can almost buy an entire R32 worth of panels and pieces and build it from scratch

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
yeah, anything over 25 years can be brought over and tagged, no emissions or safety requirements need to be met. The thing that's taking so long with the plate is that it's an import, so it doesn't have any US title to transfer; it's done with the export certificate, bill of lading, and commercial invoice from the exporter

nope, no problems at all, just went to the port with my big stack of paperwork and they got my car and brought it out
Good deal yo. Don't need to hear this lol, I might have to start keeping an eye out. What sights did you look at?

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good deal yo. Don't need to hear this lol, I might have to start keeping an eye out. What sights did you look at?
I went through pacific coast auto, you're looking at roughly $3500 in shipping/exporter/customs/brokerage fees on top of whatever the car costs to get it landed and cleared at port ready for pickup

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Badass! What are the plans?
probably just replace the fragile ceramic wheel turbos and turn it up to ~400whp, that's where the stock injectors/mafs/bunch of stuff need to be upgraded

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Definitely needs more pictures. Nice catch!

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I went through pacific coast auto, you're looking at roughly $3500 in shipping/exporter/customs/brokerage fees on top of whatever the car costs to get it landed and cleared at port ready for pickup
Yea I figured it wouldn't be cheap lol. But I remember looking into this about 10 years ago and the price about right ( maybe a bit higher today) from then to now.

Thanks for the info. I will stop cluttering up your thread now lol.

I would like to see some pics of the front end lol. I like the ass of most cars but wanna see the goods up front lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts