Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can find info on the subject but i need personal opinions from people with titanium retainers. how long do they really last?.
i'll be using a nippon stage 1 cam and have a power goal of around 350 whp. I am going with supertech springs but cant decide if i should go with ti retainers. Some people say the ti breaks and some says the oem does. The titaniums has been used for many years by many people in d16 engines has there been many failures? I have put a lot of money on this engine and just want the safest thing even if i must change the retainer every 20k miles. The car is going to be a dd car.
I am going with the d16z6 head.

/V

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
the biggest question is..... you ready..... how many rpms you gonna twist it? either way oe retainers are good(iirc) to like 8-9k... someone that has more experiance than me can chime in and tell you....

me when i build my head. im gonna be using bisi springs and oe retainers and seek a 9k redline. but that all depends when its gonna stop making power and how my tq curve is.. but thats a different story in itself......

so with that said my vote goes to oe retainers

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I can find info on the subject but i need personal opinions from people with titanium retainers. how long do they really last?.
i'll be using a nippon stage 1 cam and have a power goal of around 350 whp. I am going with supertech springs but cant decide if i should go with ti retainers. Some people say the ti breaks and some says the oem does. The titaniums has been used for many years by many people in d16 engines has there been many failures? I have put a lot of money on this engine and just want the safest thing even if i must change the retainer every 20k miles.

/V
all parts break when you push them.

nothing is perfect and nothing will last for ever.

you havent even told us what HEAD you are going to use...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
how high do you plan to rev the motor? if your not reving past 8k dont worry about it.....im reving to 8500ish on stock retainers with a delta 272-2 cam and crower valve springs

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
how high do you plan to rev the motor? if your not reving past 8k dont worry about it.....im reving to 8500ish on stock retainers with a delta 272-2 cam and crower valve springs
I dont know how high I am going to rev but on a stock head and stage 1 cam i cant think of a reason to rev higher then 8000?
If i should choose the oem should i buy new oems or can i stay with the old ones i have ?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
id trust some OEM retainers that have taken 100,000 miles of abuse over some shit machined out of cheap chinese steal by a child.

if ur really worried have them stress and crack tested before you use them

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if ur really worried have them stress and crack tested before you use them
The OEM or the titaniums ? But a set of new OEM retainers should be fine then ?
What about the valve keepers can I go with the old ones?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
with the a6 head, the Ti's are quite a bit lighter than the stock ones. something worth paying for.

for VTEC heads the retainers are designed pretty well, and the Ti ones are only about a gram lighter. compared to about 6 grams for the non-vtec ones if i remember right

i used OEM retainers and keepers on my drag motor build. no issues yet for me. but the motor only goes for 10 seconds at a time.... so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I prefer anamantium. If it's good enough for Wolverine it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
My oem ones have 246k on them I rev to 8200rpm every day. I will be turning the limiter off and see what they do when i build my motor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts