Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am having so difficulty deciding which route i want to go. I have a 91 crx dx which i am thinking of doing a mini me/ mpfi swap on. My concern is i tried a 2000 civic ex not that impressed with the difference in power... i realize that the civic weighs more and the fact the i was test driving 1 with the salesman right beside probably didn't help the matter. Just don't want to go through the hassle of doing a swap and not be satisfied...not rich! on the other hand was concerning installing a jackson racing supercharger ( they seem to be going down in price) however have emailed jackson racing with my concerns and haven't seen a reponse back yet... looking for power under 5000 rpm which is where i go 97% of my driving... not interested in turbo route ....any comments and/ or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

D

·
0 Posts
1991rex said:
hi i am having so difficulty deciding which route i want to go. I have a 91 crx dx which i am thinking of doing a mini me/ mpfi swap on. My concern is i tried a 2000 civic ex not that impressed with the difference in power... i realize that the civic weighs more and the fact the i was test driving 1 with the salesman right beside probably didn't help the matter. Just don't want to go through the hassle of doing a swap and not be satisfied...not rich! on the other hand was concerning installing a jackson racing supercharger ( they seem to be going down in price) however have emailed jackson racing with my concerns and haven't seen a reponse back yet... looking for power under 5000 rpm which is where i go 97% of my driving... not interested in turbo route ....any comments and/ or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
i dont just have an opinion...fact:mini me will NOT impress you,fact:jrsc WILL impress you and anyone else for that matter....i have driven almost everything that a person can drive on the road(CDL A)if you can afford it go for the jrsc,if not get a hooker....either way have a blast

·
Registered
649 Posts
just go with the jackson racing supercharger but it will be a good idea to do the mini me too since that way you can go with arp headstuds and you won't have to worry about the head lifting or things like that plus a head swap would help alot with the jackson racing supercharger.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would also have to agree and say that doing a combo of the 2 would benefit you over all....Especially if you go w/ a JRSC.
You definiely won;t be impressed w/ just the mini-me but that PLUS the SC will probably keep you happy for a few weeks..lol

Good luck w. your choice and let us know what you end up doing...

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
I too, have pondered the same choices for my 97 DX hatch.

Go to the JRSC site and look at the before and after dynos here

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33370

For me there are separate SC kits for the EX(VTEC) and DX(nonVTEC). In each case there is a before and after dyno. So I can compare VTEC vs nonVTEC or SC vs nonSC or any combination. Turns out the SC is a better bang for the buck. According to my Helms manual VTEC will engage only when running over 4000RPM, which on my daily driver, I NEVER HIT!! (Unless I drive to work in 3rd gear). The SC will add power throughout the low RPM band so it almost always has an effect.

Despite all this I am doing both the mini-me and the SC because besides adding VTEC I am building in the EX transmission and injectors. The VTEC head (Y8) also has slightly higher compression. So I figure I might get some low end benefit from that since I can flow more fuel and the EX tranny revs higher potential reaching 4k more often.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
dude why are you going to do this shit if ur not going over 4000 RPM, daily driving or not it takes 4000RPM to accelerate. " Injectors, Ex Tanny???? Head swapping, mini me shit. not to try and hate and be rude but serously? why its not a daily driver anymore once u want some speed, u will be speeding

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seriously considering just going with the jackson racing supercharger...tried a 2000 civic ex which has the head i wanted- was not that impressed... don't want to spend x dollars doing the mini me swap and not being happy with the outcome- hate having 2 rev the @#$! out of my d15 while other vechicles are driving normally- looks like i am trying to race them! i am not! lol sometimes i miss the torque my mustang gt had- other than the higher compression that the mini me will give don't see know it will benefit me as much in the lower rpms as the jrsc will

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
go with the Jrsc man, its a good setup for very good reliable power. Iam hoping to do it soon.

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
just out of curiosity, why are you not interested in turbo? I believe that you will probably be very happy with the supercharger, but I just wondered what turned you off to turbo's....

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
don't like the idea of a turbo sharing the same engine oil as a high revving 4 cylinder. detonation- don't see intercoolers being very effective in stop n go traffic unless u have nitrous being sprayed on them/ the intercooler blocking the radiator. the tuning necessary to prevent your motor blowing up- i realize that u take the same chances u modify in other ways, just seems more likely to me- this is my daily driver-reliabilty is VERY important- besides haven't seen any turbo kit being offered for a crx...

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sql_civic said:
I too, have pondered the same choices for my 97 DX hatch.

Go to the JRSC site and look at the before and after dynos here

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33370

For me there are separate SC kits for the EX(VTEC) and DX(nonVTEC). In each case there is a before and after dyno. So I can compare VTEC vs nonVTEC or SC vs nonSC or any combination. Turns out the SC is a better bang for the buck. According to my Helms manual VTEC will engage only when running over 4000RPM, which on my daily driver, I NEVER HIT!! (Unless I drive to work in 3rd gear). The SC will add power throughout the low RPM band so it almost always has an effect.

Despite all this I am doing both the mini-me and the SC because besides adding VTEC I am building in the EX transmission and injectors. The VTEC head (Y8) also has slightly higher compression. So I figure I might get some low end benefit from that since I can flow more fuel and the EX tranny revs higher potential reaching 4k more often.
this is the very reason other that the higher compression that a mini me offers i fail to see why i would notice that much gain- i rarely go over 4000 myself- would be operating 95% of the time before vtec ever hits

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
ok, I'm not going to try to convert you or anything, and again I still think that the SC is going to be fine for you. I must mention however, that while intercoolers don't help enormously in stop and go traffic, they do help, and to prevent detonation requires tuning to avoid a lean condition. Tuning can be done fairly cheap these days and all you have to do is ask around this site. Sharing oil with the engine, well true it does share it, but if you do it smart and add an oil cooler, which will up the quantity of oil in your system it really shouldn't be a problem, if you are that worried, put in a new oil pump. Further more, most of the people on this site would happily tell you that you could do research and build a custom turbo kit as one isn't offered for your car. But again, the supercharger will work fine for you, I just felt that some of your reasons weren't entirely realistic, so make your choice and we'll all back you up. Good luck.

·
Registered
ej2
1,388 Posts
for a turbo kit...everything will fit...you intercooler piping might have to be bent a little...as long as the engine in your car now is SOHC d-series then everything will fit right up...and superchargers are very dangerous unless you have an aftercooler because of the higher heat it creates right there...right by everything...I would say go turbo for better daily driving conditions...SC's are for the auto X'ers...but more on the topic....you should do the mini me simply cause you'll be pushing a little more power...and you'll have vtec...all and all if your gonna spend 1500-2000$ on a daily driven car, spend a little time researching turbo, talk to people who have there turbos for a year or better, but if you really wanna go SC, go ahead...I would say go supercharger route...but on this site...its alot more NA/Turbo...but there is a few SC's around here...meaning if you do run into a problem your gonna have a hell of a time figuring the answers...as with turbos you can just go to turbod16.com sign up and tell em your prob and it should be answered...anyway you go Good Luck

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
1991rex said:
don't like the idea of a turbo sharing the same engine oil as a high revving 4 cylinder. detonation- don't see intercoolers being very effective in stop n go traffic unless u have nitrous being sprayed on them/ the intercooler blocking the radiator. the tuning necessary to prevent your motor blowing up- i realize that u take the same chances u modify in other ways, just seems more likely to me- this is my daily driver-reliabilty is VERY important- besides haven't seen any turbo kit being offered for a crx...
If you're worried about the oil situation, get a good aftermarket baffled pan and an oil cooler. It'll be better than a stock CRX.

If you're worried about detonation, get a small intercooler and get the car tuned. If you keep it to 6-8 psi, it won't ping or go boom. I would suggest tuning even if you went with a SC or even just a mini-me because there is no factory OBD-0 ECU setup similar to a mini-me.

If you're worried about blocking the radiator, get a small side-mount DSM intercooler.

If you're worried about findind a 'kit' for a CRX, I'm sure a reputable builder can piece together a kit for you.

DreaMer said:
and superchargers are very dangerous unless you have an aftercooler because of the higher heat it creates right there...right by everything...
You can't put an aftercooler on a JRSC, it's a Roots-style blower. You can, however, put a water injection kit on it to keep intake temps down a touch and prevent pinging and engine-go-boom-syndrome.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
There is no way that you will get any power out of a D-series under 4k rpm. Give up. You have to get on it to get it to go faster. If you look at the dyno, the JRSC Y8 makes just slightly less hp at 4k than the Y8 does at redline.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
ottomaticjack said:
ok, I'm not going to try to convert you or anything, and again I still think that the SC is going to be fine for you. I must mention however, that while intercoolers don't help enormously in stop and go traffic, they do help, and to prevent detonation requires tuning to avoid a lean condition. Tuning can be done fairly cheap these days and all you have to do is ask around this site. Sharing oil with the engine, well true it does share it, but if you do it smart and add an oil cooler, which will up the quantity of oil in your system it really shouldn't be a problem, if you are that worried, put in a new oil pump. Further more, most of the people on this site would happily tell you that you could do research and build a custom turbo kit as one isn't offered for your car. But again, the supercharger will work fine for you, I just felt that some of your reasons weren't entirely realistic, so make your choice and we'll all back you up. Good luck.
I wish I got a quarter for every time someone asks for advice on SC and gets a response to go turbo. :smile:

Good info though - not trying to dis ya.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts