Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a price from go-autoworks to get my z6 built for 1300 vitara pistton eagle rods acl teflon coated is this a good price or should I by the pistons rods acl and take it to the shop

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well it's a fair price from what I know because prices did go up. About 2 years ago I had my block built at a machine ship for about 800 and thats including pistons rings and bearings, and bottom end assembly. This january I went to that same guy and he told me it would cost me roughly 1500 at least. lol

·
Registered
475 Posts
Did you ask go-autoworks if u could just show the price like that cause I know some shops might give out different prices depending on the relationship with the costumer. just my 0.02 cents

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
you posted a price without what is included for that deal....yeah you basically posted a superkit from fj....which iirc is 600ish before shipping and assembly

machine work isnt cheap....i spend 5-600 just on my headwork and assembly....and quality machine work costs even more

soo lets assume your getting it bored to 75.5 because you didnt specify...which obviously cost more money...deck the block...notch the block...hone...plastigauge what bearings you will need....no one size does not fit all....assembly....etc....its alot of work really and for someone without alot of tools or knowledge i dont think its an unfair price

i got quoted from a local shop(the ones who did my head) 1200 just for machine work and assembly(that also included headwork) the whole deal block+ head....but that was + parts...so i would be near the 2000 mark....not a bad deal. but unlike the local machine shop, greg know the specs and how to properly build a d-series motor....unlike a local machine shop that would ask you 50x what you want your p2w, bearing, etc clearences and then when you tell them they second guess

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That is a hell of a deal IMO.

Machine work alone for my build was $474. Granted, that cost varies quite a bit depending on location, the amount of work done, etc.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Unless you have the tools and the know how yourself I'm sure they will probably do a better job than you assembling it yourself as well.

My build's machine work is sitting around $270 but I had them only make sure things were clean, flat, bored, honed, resurfaced etc. I am doing the assembling myself with is kind of daunting to say the least.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't think that is a terrible price... My machine work was about $500, but that was surfacing the head, new valve seals, a new valve stem, valve and spring install (basically a fresh head rebuild with new valves and springs), surfacing the block, 75.5 bore, hone, notching the block, polish the crank, resurface my flywheel, and all the hot tanking and such of course. but get the machine work done and build it yourself. There is a lot of satisfaction to be had watching a motor run that you put your own hard work into. Torque wrench, plasti gauge, assembly lube, Thats all you really need. If you read first and assemble it correctly you shouldn't run into any issue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
go-autoworks is a great shop, but you having eagles with those pistons, your comp will be poop. get the fjt kit from FJ Distributors and with the oil pump it will be around 750.00. To have the block preped shouldnt cost more then 200 at a local shop. so if you take 750+200=950-1300=money for just labor....too high IMO

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It depends as well, some shops will throw a block together and call it good, some shops will basically blueprint it and give you all your bearing clearances for each rod/main, p2w clearances, cyl taper, cyl OOR and the usual sensitive measurements. So it could be a time/labor intensive build of the block.

Does that include a core charge? or is that purchasing the block outright, along with the pistons etc?

It doesnt seem too bad if you ask me, we all know another company that charges about 4-500 more for what seems to be the same thing

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Damn. Some of you guys get bent over on machine work it seems. I think with bore/hone, deck, mill, and tank, I paid 200 max. 30 bucks for a die grinder, 20 for some bits, and you have it notched. Plastigauge is like 3 bucks, and when it comes to ACL or King bearings, ONE SIZE DOES FIT ALL, or youre screwed. LOL. ACL and King bearings dont come in multitudes of thicknesses. Thats why OEM is so expensive.

I really dont think it would be that much if you bought your own parts, and went to your local machine shop for labor and assembly.
you arent understanding that when someone doesnt have the necessary skills to do a job they need to hire someone to do it, and they need to pay them fairly.

thats how society works man. not everyone can fab and assembly motors like we can.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
you arent understanding that when someone doesnt have the necessary skills to do a job they need to hire someone to do it, and they need to pay them fairly.

thats how society works man. not everyone can fab and assembly motors like we can.
well said! :clap: I certainly don't have the expertise let alone the tools to machine my own stuff. but I will be doing assembly because I feel it will be a good learning experience. And I will be having a pro with me to make sure I'm doing everything right.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
then again if you have the determination to save money and learn, you can do anything.

i didnt know how to build an engine 4 years ago and i didnt know how to boost a honda 6 years ago and now im pretty good at doing both.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
If you have the money I'd say go for it! Go-Autoworks knows how to do job and they do it top level. Probably you can save few $, maybe even $100, but as we like to say DO IT RIGHT FIRST TIME. Just give it to proffesionals and you'll know everything is done right. Just my 2 cents here

1 - 20 of 36 Posts