Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if any1 is using a gm4 turbo on there single cam, and if they like it?
thanks

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
comes from an either 93 or 94 Chevy 6.5 liter turbo diesel.
thats going to be a rather large turbo to run on a d-series. very laggy if you can even get it spooled.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
T3 style flange I THINK. Twin scroll? No internal gate, right?

I've heard of B-series guys running the GM-8 and I assume by the designation that the GM-4 is smaller?

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
T3 style flange I THINK. Twin scroll? No internal gate, right?

I've heard of B-series guys running the GM-8 and I assume by the designation that the GM-4 is smaller?
the borg warner GM-4 is the same as the GM-1, 3, 5, and GM-8.
they all have the same compressor and turbine wheels.
the only difference is the wastegate location,and downpipe locations.
and no it isnt a duel scroll design.
this turbo would be well suited for a fully built b series.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
with that kinda turbo i dont think that a D could get it to spool up or if it did it would be MUCH MUCH laggy

·
11,892 Posts
the borg warner GM-4 is the same as the GM-1, 3, 5, and GM-8.
they all have the same compressor and turbine wheels.
the only difference is the wastegate location,and downpipe locations.
and no it isnt a duel scroll design.
this turbo would be well suited for a fully built b series.

The GM-8 I had didn't have an internal gate??? It didn't even look like there was a spot for it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I use to run the gm8 turbo in my old hatch before I sold it. It ran decent with the gm8 I had in it. It'll spool alot quicker than you guys think. I was getting 7 lbs by 4500 rpm. It's about the same as any other t3/t4's out there. Making a downpipe flange just suck though.

·
11,892 Posts
I use to run the gm8 turbo in my old hatch before I sold it. It ran decent with the gm8 I had in it. It'll spool alot quicker than you guys think. I was getting 7 lbs by 4500 rpm. It's about the same as any other t3/t4's out there. Making a downpipe flange just suck though.
What was the setup?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
What was the setup?
ssautochrome manifold, 35mm external wastegate, ebay IC, 2inch hot IC piping and 2.5inch cold IC piping, Greddy type s bov, act clutch, supra injectors and 2.5inch DP with 2.5inch exhaust. That's pretty much it, but this was way back in the days in 2000. Never dyno it and never ran it at the track. Sold the turbo kit and then later the car. It was fun while it last.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
7psi by 4500rpms?! :eek:

with a 7k revlimiter thats a 2500rpm powerband
welcome to the life of most of the t3/t4 guys on here.Straight line rockets.My t3/t4 gets boost 500 rpms earlier then that though and I also don't have a 7k rev limit.Fast doesn't always equal fun and fun doesn't always equal fast when it comes to power band.

To the op a buddy of mine runs that exact turbo on a stock ls with just under 300hp with more left in it but I dont remember what psi.I think he is using a different exhaust housing and ditched the internal gate.I would look into the housing specs.Anything bigger then a 60/63 with a stock d series head is usually going to suck on the street but would be okay for an all out drag car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts