Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch DX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys I'm brand new here and glad that I am! Little summary of the project I'm taking on. I bought a $300 dollar 88 Civic hatch DX and had the most fun of my life using it as an offroad go cart pretty much out at some land my family owns. After 2 months of jumping, hooning, and banging gears in the civic offroad, I decided to slap some lights on it and make it road worthy again. (Had no headlights, brakelights, etc.) Well now its been on the road for about 2 months now and hasn't given me one problem.

Anyway, enough rambling.

My goal is to turbo this thing. I already ordered a turbo and an oil feed line, and I think Ill be able to do my own return line. The turbo I ordered has an 8PSI built in wastegate. The problem I have is that I have no clue how to address the A/F Ratio. Is there any way to use the stock ECU with the turbo running at that boost level? I don't want to spend what I paid for the car on a tune for it either. Like I said, this'll be ghetto. Speaking of ghetto, my fuel tank is a boat gas tank behind the rear seats. Sketchy? Yes. But very easy to access the fuel pump/filter. I don't know if a better pump would make things any better, but I do know the pump I have right now is an inline pump. I don't know if that is stock or not, but it seems to flow pretty well. I also have stock injectors. Is there any way I can avoid tuning while making the A/F richer? I've heard about "FMU"s. Thoughts on those? I don't even know what they do yet i've just seen them come up on these fourms and haven't researched much yet. I'll also be running this setup without an intercooler. Is that fine? I've heard that lower boost applications can be run without an IC. I know the right way to do it is to run one, but can I make do without one?

I know this sounds stupid, that's because it is. I got the car for $300 so the worst that can happen is it blows up and you guys laugh at me in the process. That's fine, I'll just be offering some free entertainment for ya :clown:

So if you could, please keep the hate to a minimum and just offer any helpful advice you might have. Much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
You need to get that search google-fu in operating order.

there are several ways to get a tuning setup.

you will FIRST need to convert to multiport. that is, 1 injector per cylinder.

a search term you will want is "obd1 conversion ef civic"

reading>building at this stage.

do the build in complete stages

1) convert to obd1

2) DO MAINTENANCE (timing belt, water pump, plugs, thermostat, sensors, etc..)

3) enjoy the car for a few months. work out any bugs. make sure it is 100% good to go

4) grab a tuning solution. chipped ecu, AEM drop in for OBD1, ,megasquirt, ktuned blackbox ecu, etc..

5) dial in a tune on stock setup to learn the software and what does what

6-99+) start turbo build

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
366 Posts
a) mattliston's list is pretty fair. Don't skimp any of it
b) You won't need an IC at low boost
c) You will need to spend more than what you paid for the car on tuning if you want the results to match your efforts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
If you only put $300 into the car and turbo kit, expect to pay around $600 to get it tuned. Or more. The shittier your car is the more time it will take the tuner, and time is money. Dont like that? Dont boost it or do it all yourself. I did it all myself.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch DX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to get that search google-fu in operating order.

there are several ways to get a tuning setup.

you will FIRST need to convert to multiport. that is, 1 injector per cylinder.

a search term you will want is "obd1 conversion ef civic"

reading>building at this stage.

do the build in complete stages

1) convert to obd1

2) DO MAINTENANCE (timing belt, water pump, plugs, thermostat, sensors, etc..)

3) enjoy the car for a few months. work out any bugs. make sure it is 100% good to go

4) grab a tuning solution. chipped ecu, AEM drop in for OBD1, ,megasquirt, ktuned blackbox ecu, etc..

5) dial in a tune on stock setup to learn the software and what does what

6-99+) start turbo build
Thanks for responding, I agree. After reading on how garbage the OBD0 and DPFI is for boosted setups, those two things are going to be next on my list. However, I did get it running!

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch DX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you only put $300 into the car and turbo kit, expect to pay around $600 to get it tuned. Or more. The shittier your car is the more time it will take the tuner, and time is money. Dont like that? Dont boost it or do it all yourself. I did it all myself.
I did everything myself. I plan on converting to OBD1 soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts