Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!!!About a month ago i turbocharged my d16y8 and made 180.6whp and 19.6kgm of torque with a completely stock motor(with 100000miles),stock injectors...etc after a month it decided to take a crap while i was driving back to my home town about 300miles away of Athens,Greece...so we found out that obviously i spun a rod bearing!!!So now since it got all messed up i went back to my tuner tto built this motherfucker from scratch and hit a safe 260whp at around 1bar!!!
Im running a Garrett Gt2860r and tuned on crome!!!

Im getting:
Wiseco Pistons
Forged Rods
440cc Precision Injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Arp Head Bolts
Acl race bearings
.....etc

We still dont know if we have to get some aftermarket sleeves or get a block guard.The tuner though told me that on all other d series motors that he built they kept the stock sleeves and they just installed a blockguard and no problems since now!!!What do you guys think about that???(im gonna use 75.5 pistons)

My other problem is that the oil pump!!!Since i searched a lot on the site,i found that the y8 pump is a piece of crap!!!I was thinking of using a z6 oil pump but then im gonna have problems,like no place to put the dipstick and prob a check light cuz the y8 pump has a sensor for the crank position!!!
So what do i have to do now???I really dont know!!!!!!Can i shim and port my y8 pump that looks pretty good even after 100k miles or buy an aftermarket one like TOGA???Please guys help me!!!

:bigugh:

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
The stock sleeves are fine to 400+whp and you will not get a definite answer on the block guard. IMHO you do not need one, but if your tuner feels better using one, I would use the Golden Eagle block guard.

http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/str_blockguard.html

You will need to have and install that before your machinist does anything. Then the block will need to be bored and decked.

As you've already figured out, the problem with the Y8 is the oil pump. There's a couple of how to's around about porting and shimming them. Everyone who's done it has had good results. It seems like shimming it is the very least you should do on a turbo motor. I've seen mostly good stuff about the Togas. They seem to be an OK out of the box solution.

Just a side note, but you are really going to want a little bigger set of injectors, since they look to be the limiting factor in your set up at the moment.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the reply...what do you mean abou the injectors???Im getting 440cc precisions.Do i need bigger than those and if yes what cc do i need???

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
You should be able to make more than 260whp with that set up, if you turn the boost up over 1 Bar. Here's an injector calculator:

http://injector-rehab.com/issg/

If I were buying the injectors, I would get at least a set of 650cc, if not 750cc. That way, you should be able to get what ever you can out of that turbo.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot!!!I dont want to push the turbo at max power(1.2bar) thats why im gonna keep it at 1bar and sometimes 1.1bar.the tuner told me that with 440cc injectors im gonna be fine and run 260whp and not push the injectors at 100%!!!

·
Banned
998 Posts
no it wont push the injectors.. but when u eventually want to turn up the boost or take it to the track or anything u arnt gonna be able too becuase u bought small injectors..buy larger then needed injectors that way u have security and improvement in the future when eventually everyone wants more or atleast wants to know how it feels..

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
If you use a BSFC of .65, to be sure you're covered, those 440s are pretty much at 100% just to make 260whp. Here's a link for another calculator if you want to play around with your fuel pressure:

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

You should easily have a 300+whp set up there, except for the injectors. If I was spending the rest of the money you are spending, I would want to be able to turn up the boost.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sounds like a good build man. For what its worth id go a little bigger on the injectors. You never know what might change and its nice to have a little bit bigger injector so you dont have to upgrade down the road.

As for the oil pump ive seen some people run the toga. I'd just get a new oem honda unit and do a search on the shim and port. Theres a ton of threads on the y8 oil pump. It is a weak point of the y8 motor.

As for the sleeves theres different opinions on that. For what you want to make you should be fine with stock sleeves or just a block guard. I went with Darton sleeves mainly because I'm friends with my builder and he gave me a deal I couldn't turn down. I knew down the road I would want to make more power. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok then im gonna tell my tuner to get some 525cc precisions injectors to have a little more room for boost!!!Thanks for all the comments and help!!!I guess im gonna keep the stock sleeves and add a blockguard like my tuner said too!!!Will change the oil pump too with an oem new one too and we will at least shim to work better!!!Any other advices will be welcome!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot bro.I will keep you guys updated!I belive that next week my car will be ready and im gonna start drive it around for about 1000km and then dyno it...will see what happens.

Any other advises are WELCOME!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts