Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I haven't been around in a while and haven't done much to my car since it ate the last turbo. A ring ... kids ... ya know all that good stuff. But I think it might be time to get some boost back in my car. This time around I will be running an external blow off valve. I'm just wondering if there is much difference between brands, or if I should just go with the one that I think looks/sounds the best?

Turbo build this time around will be an Evo8 9.8 hot side w/custom twin scroll manifold. Shooting for close to 300 whp and a big juicy useable torque band.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do you mean blow off valve, or wastegate? Just asking because you said external, which makes me think wastegate. I've never heard of an internal blow off valve. Recirculating, but never internal.

Either way, my answer would be the same, Tial. I personally have always had good look with their stuff. BOV's and WG's. Even thought right now I'm running a Chinese Greddy knockoff cause it came with my intercooler piping. I will be switching to a Tial Q when I get some more cash. I ran their BOV on my DSM and it was great, and I have a 38mm Tial WG on my current setup.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean blow off valve, or wastegate? Just asking because you said external, which makes me think wastegate. I've never heard of an internal blow off valve. Recirculating, but never internal.

Either way, my answer would be the same, Tial. I personally have always had good look with their stuff. BOV's and WG's. Even thought right now I'm running a Chinese Greddy knockoff cause it came with my intercooler piping. I will be switching to a Tial Q when I get some more cash. I ran their BOV on my DSM and it was great, and I have a 38mm Tial WG on my current setup.
I do mean blow off valve. The last turbo I was running (volvo 13c) had an integrated blow off valve. I know that isn't typical of most setups but because it's what I'm familiar with I felt the need to differentiate. I've heard good things about tial so they're already on the list.

Whats your budget for it? Dsm bov are cheap tials great hks is good.
Let's just say I'm doing it properly, however if I can avoid spending an arm and a leg ... I'll do it.

Also I'm going for as much of a sleeper as possible. What are the quietest blow off valves out there ... and is there a way to lessen the noise of the "sneeze"?

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive got a tial q 50mm bov, does its job well. For quiet they also come with a recirculating housing.
Is it difficult to make it recirculated if I have IC piping that I'm using from the previous build which did not have a recirculating BOV?

Or I suppose a better way to ask that is where does the air recirculate to?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Into the intake tube before the turbo. What type of bov flange is on you old ic piping? If its a v-clamp all you would need to do is weld a fitting on the intake tube and run some silicon (preferably) hose from the bov to the intake tube. Not exactly sure how much quieter it would be but more than the standard housing which dumps to atmosphere. Mine at 16psi is pretty loud. IMHO if you want to be inconspicuous dont drive around everywhere building boost lol

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was a v-band flange but because the turbo had it's own BOV my tuner/mechanic/guy (whatever the kids are calling them these days) just cut it off and welded a patch over it. So I'll be getting a flange welded up to match whatever BOV I end up getting.

I didn't drive around building boost when I did have the turbo. I'll guess I'll have to have a chat with him about recirculating the BOV. Or continue with my "conservative" driving habits.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a TD04H-13c if you're interested in looking it up. I've still got it lying around somewhere so I suppose I could grab it and snap some pics this weekend too. Might be able to give you a better idea of the way it looks/works.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so it appears that the BOV itself doesn't really matter as long as I get one that will do it's job properly. On to more questions.

Recirculating vs non ... other than sound ... any difference? Benefits/drawbacks of each set up?

Just trying to get as much information as possible so I can "do it once (again) and do it right".

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Okay so it appears that the BOV itself doesn't really matter as long as I get one that will do it's job properly. On to more questions.

Recirculating vs non ... other than sound ... any difference? Benefits/drawbacks of each set up?

Just trying to get as much information as possible so I can "do it once (again) and do it right".
Suppose to keep the spool up on recirculated.
Your dumping pressure d air right back into the inlet of the turbo.

I like the sound of a blow off valve myself tho.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I loved the way my HKS sounded. Like really loud mouse farts.

If you do decide to go with a DSM valve just make sure you get a 1G. The 2G valves are plastic and don't hold much pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably going to go with a recirculating Tial. That was what Greg originally suggested when he built my piping ... if it's good enough for Greg it's good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts