Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few question about this.

So i finish went to ATI fr automotive repair back in 2004 ish. Finish with a 4.0GPA through the whole school.

Once i finish the school i work at a shop for about 4months. Then pretty much work for my self since then. Around 2009 i work at a oil change place for a month lol... I got a leg condition so finding a job that i can work around that problem is very hard and the oil change place wasnt working for me.

Then around 2013/2014, I work at a tire change shop on and off for about 1 yr in half. Job was fix anything that came in. And i did. Just wasnt on the payroll got paid in cash for the work i did.

Other then that my legal status is unemployed. Even tho i work for myself when i can. And i have the skills.

So im trying to get my ASE Certi. I will have no problem passing the test or any of that.
The problem i have is the work experience that they are asking for.

DO they really do a check on all this information?
If i put down self employed will that work for them or no?

Also how many years do you go before getting re-cert and.

Thanx for any help any of you guys can give.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Cool theres a way to transfer over the Canadian Red Seal to ASE.

Up here, you need to have a currently licensed Red Seal (Same as ASE) sign for the hours you have worked. I dont think there is any way to challenge it without having a signed log book of hours worked.

IIRC its like 1800 hours per year, four years total.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure you have looked at this already? Work Experience - ASE
I check that and email the site. Got a crap reaspon. But basically my school might not count.
I can have the tire shop sign the work experience, but since its a small bussiness i , an no tellig if all his paper work is correct. It might not count.

They did say i can take all the test i want and if i pass it will be save on file for 5years. Then when i get tbe work experience papers filled out they will send the certifation.

And i dont think they will count my self empoyed work since no tax id ir paper work.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I asked myself when I was trying to figure out my work experience time, about self employed mechanics, but it was a very vague conversation and I left with more questions than answers. It seems like they are very much trying to keep shady mechanics out, and to keep peoples faith in mechanics that have their certification. No shady people aloud.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked myself when I was trying to figure out my work experience time, about self employed mechanics, but it was a very vague conversation and I left with more questions than answers. It seems like they are very much trying to keep shady mechanics out, and to keep peoples faith in mechanics that have their certification. No shady people aloud.
See thats the thing i hate shady work. I run into all these old timers alot.
And thats the reason i went to school to learn everything correctly.
And reason id like to get my ASE.
I know ill have no problem passing the test. I done a ton of practice test and always pass them. I finish my school with a 4.0

I went to a shop long ago when i first got out of auto school and theu said they couldnt hire me because i wasnt ASE.
There was one shop that was going to get me my state inspection licenses but my leg problem flared up and had to quit the job before i got them.

I guess ill just make plans to take the test and once i pass them find some work to complete the process.
Im going to try to submit my school once i get my records.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
There are sections on Hybrid drive train and Hybrid safety protocols now. If you havent brushed up on things like high voltage safety and warnings, it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
ej6
587 Posts
you need 2 years of work experience filed to ASE to get the certificate.
they should count your school for at least 1 year. so that means you only need to find that other year.

maybe find a friend of family the own a shop and have then fill out the paper work to ASE saying you worked there for a little over a year?

and yes you take the test with the work experience u just wont get the certificate. my first job after finishing school was in a small mom and pop shop and they filled the paper work and sent it in so i can get my missing year.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
my only advice is... go back to tech school be a welder and make a lot more money and they work around you "IF" you come out as a good welder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts