Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Si
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy and I are trying to place a GearX FD 4.9 from kiwi in a stock tranny from 92 Si with a Quaffe LSD. We are running into a number of issues:

1) The FD gear is rubbing up against the inside of the tranny housing and scrapping alum off, ~.1-.2 mm
2) The main and counter shaft don't seem to fit smoothly back into the tranny
3) we're obviously having clearance issues with closing the tranny backup.

ANy help is apprectiated.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Oh man, hate to hear about the issues! I won't have any advice unfortunately cuz I've never installed a aftermarket FD onto my Quaife. GL!

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
if you summon aquafina or bone, they will tell you whats going on.

P.s.- where and how much was your fd? im in the market for one.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,297 Posts
as stated in PM, 2" sanding drum and a cordless drill. I suggest removing both ISB and CSB before sanding for clearance. Make sure to clean out the case extra good afterwards.

This is very common on 4.9 FD installs no matter where you get the FD from, GearX/MFactory/ATS...etc.

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Si
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks bones! Yes teh gear right side up. We got everything assembled and we're able to run the car and just let the FD find it's way through the inside of the case... (not recommended ) Car will shift all the way up to third, after which 4th is hard but shiftable and no way is 5th or reverse goina work. tranny is apart again and it's almost impossible to get the shafts disconnected from the clutch housing.

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Si
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok - we're good here. The bearing at the end of the main shaft is loosely fitted and had popped off during our first re-assembly. When it popped off the 5th gear sleeve popped out just enough so that when it got reseatted, the two taller teeth went into the WRONG grooves. 5th gear, the sleeve and the synchros were jammed packed and locked together. I didn't discovery this until the second tear down and would explain why the entire assembly was to hard to place and remove from the clutch housing. I actually had to use the 20-ton press to get everything apart. Actually, we also discovered that the oil passages in the main shaft were all clogged up with this yellow and brown particles - very odd. I cleaned everything up and we took our sweet a$$ time during the second re-assembly and made sure everything went into the tranny as designed. Problem solved - thanks all!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
As I try to tell everyone...before you apply sealant and close the cases check the sliders/selectors to make sure you can access ALL gears. Glad you found the problem...hope you didn't hurt something in the process though.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts