Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gearbox "taps" in neutral and accel...and "wobble" noise at 2000rpms

Gearbox "taps" in neutral and accel...and "wobble" noise at 2000rpms
Hullo all ~ gearbox issue here + other random thing.

I have a stock EG5 Si ( d16a8 here in OZ)

My gearbox makes a slight "tapping" noise at idle and at accell.~ the noise dissapears when i push the clutch in.
I have recently replaced the Input shaft bearing + installed a new clutch/flywheel combo...a mech mate thinks its the mainshaft bearing or could even be the release bearing ?
Any ideas with similar experience ?

Also , my car makes a consistant "wobble" noise in every gear at about 2000rpms - its a hum in the background and is comign from the engine bay area - wheel alignment as been checked etc so my thoughts are driveshafts or front wheel bearing/s - i cant be sure but are there any basic tests to see if these or anything else is out of balance giving me this "wobble" ?

Any ideas / help much appreciated

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like, a combination mainshaft bearing and differential bearing.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
damnit, I hate trick questions!

IMHO if you can isolate the click to one side, try replacing that side axle.

IMHO as a race abusive bitch, if she shifts don't mess with it!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dam. Im pretty sure its either the mainshaft bearing (since this tapping is onyl when there is power to teh "mainshaft , in neutral or drive) , and the noise goes away when i push the clutch in...still. Bah.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would say replace the throw out bearing (release bearing) cause I am having the same issues, but i'm just too lazy to pull the tranny and do it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
bennjamin said:
dam. Im pretty sure its either the mainshaft bearing (since this tapping is onyl when there is power to teh "mainshaft , in neutral or drive) , and the noise goes away when i push the clutch in...still. Bah.

if the noise goes away when you push the clutch IN, it means your throw out bearing is still good.

It's your input shaft bearing.... this is what happened to make me replace my transdmission the first time.

good luck with it!

99% sure here it's the bearing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts