Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, i made the mistake, like many others do as well...i put gear oil in my trans the last time i changed it :( ...started having a lot of trouble changing gear and had grinds while changing (guessing its the synchro spinning when its not suppose to due to the gear oil being so thick)

So....i came up with a quick and cheap fix that WORKS! All you have to do is (of course) drain the gear oil....fill the trans with mineral spirits, diesel fuel, gasoline, etc. (any of the three will work) drive around the block...no further! drain the the trans again...of whatever you choose to use (i just used reg. gasoline) you will notice that its very dirty when you drain it this time. made me feel like it actually worked, lol. now, you just fill the trans with honda mtf, synchromesh or 10w-30 motor oil, whatever it is you choose. Problem Solved!!! very cheaply and quick! The trans shifts soo smooth now! no need to tear the trans apart and rebuild....unless your problems are far more then what mine were of course! :bigok:

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
the gasoline floating around in your mtf might not be great on the plastic bearing cages and seals... ill wait for bones to aprove or disprove this method

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
was no need to flush it with gas, just 2 quarts of 10w30 and repeat in 5 miles.

So you have 2 cycle gas for the chainsaw now????

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
the gasoline floating around in your mtf might not be great on the plastic bearing cages and seals... ill wait for bones to aprove or disprove this method
The gasoline should evaporate pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I would never drive my car with petrol in the gear case.

At very worst I would jack the front wheels off the ground and run through the gears at idle then drain it and fill with the correct oil.

I think a cup full of gear oil in the trans fluid will do less harm than a cup full of petrol.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys.....I did it and it worked. I wasn't stupid about either. I filled it with the gas and only drove arond the block......no smoking at all transzex. The drive around the block would be no differet then jacking it up and runnig through the gears, lol. When you drain the gas out you let the trans dry out for like an hour....the gas evaporates pretty quickly. I plan to change the oil again in about 500-1000 miles just in case there is any gas still in there. Worked amazingly for me.....just thought I'd share with my d-series brothers.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
This would have been good to know years ago, when a Goodyear repair shop put gear oil in my tranny. Didn't even know until my gears started slipping/grinding.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Ummm

The load to move a car even slowly is a LOT more than to run with the wheels off the ground.

Around the block is a LOT longer than the 10 seconds it takes to run through the gears.

I am pleased you got away with it.

I strongly suspect you effectivly put a few thousand miles on it with that short trip.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It won't hurt anything.....if the gears can't withstand some gas in there for a quick drive less then a mile.....I don't want them in my trans anyway, lol!!! Not to mention gasoline evaporates very quickly if you didn't know that....there's probably no gas left in the trans and it wasn't in there long enough to hurt anything. The gas may have been in my trans for a whole 5 minutes. Doing this is cheap and effective and no harm is done unless your a dumbass about it and drive with the gas in there all day. If you don't like the idea, then whatever....no need to flame up my thread.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
You call that a flame.

What you did is just plain stupid and dangerous and posting it here might encourage someone else to and they may not be so lucky.

Now that's a flame.

Fuel and air and heat can explode.

Turning under load on helical cut gears with no lubrication creates heat.

Petrol provides very little lubrication, especially if in vapour form.

How do the fuel vapours escape the box apart from a very small vent when the fuel does evaporate as you claim.

That vent is quite close to the exhaust and catalytic converter.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, you can believe whatever you want to believe....I did this and it worked wonders for me. My trans feels better then it ever has....2nd-3rd grind is gone and I have no trouble getting into gears anymore. I'm pretty sure the gear oil being in there did more harm then the gas did. I'm not gonna sit and argue with you because you think I'm wrong and your right. I actually did this and had no troubles. That's that.

Edit: the evaporation I'm speaking of is when I drain it and have the drain and fill plugs off and just letting it sit for 30-60 minutes....there shouldn't be any fuel left in the trans at this point. As I said...to be safe I plan to change the oil again in the next 500-1000 miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have done this before in a Toyota when my buddy did the same thing, put heavy gear oil in a manual trans thats supposed to take a much lighter oil.

Except we used diesel, much less chance of combustion. It worked fine. Also just drove around his driveway a few times as he had a looping driveway that was a few hundred feet long.

Then refilled with cheap 10w30, drove for 500 miles then refilled with MTF. That car now is on its 4 clutch with over 400,000kms on it and has had no trans issues, did the diesel flush just after the second clutch at 210,000kms.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I vouch for K1. I use it in my parts cleaner all the time when we run low on Agitene..

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
In all honesty you could have probibally just idled the car with the tranny a little overfilled with diesel/gasoline and it would have washed the walls just as well since all the speed gears are still spinning then just drained and refilled.

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
well either way guys it worked he didnt hurt himself or anybody. DONE.

it was a decent write up but yes probably driving it around the block wasnt the safest, but anyways. /thread already.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Ok guys.....I did it and it worked. I wasn't stupid about either. I filled it with the gas and only drove arond the block......no smoking at all transzex. The drive around the block would be no differet then jacking it up and runnig through the gears, lol. When you drain the gas out you let the trans dry out for like an hour....the gas evaporates pretty quickly. I plan to change the oil again in about 500-1000 miles just in case there is any gas still in there. Worked amazingly for me.....just thought I'd share with my d-series brothers.
I'm with you if you're using Mineral Spirits or Kerosene but Gas? I know you're only taking it around the block but metal on metal creates friction, which yields heat, which vaporizes gas, see where I'm going with this. Using gas is a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts