1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
D16Z6 transmission
Competition Clutch Stage 4.
1996 Civic CX.

For some reason I experience lockout in between gears at higher revs(above about 6000 RPM).

I swapped the transmission and clutch in at the same time, so Unfortunately I cannot eliminate one or the other.

I cracked the transmission open to check it over:
-Cleaned it all up.
-MS and CS bearings seemed to be in good working order.
-Replaced the CS lower and ISB with newer used bearings. I was in a major time crunch.
-Checked the synchro assemblies over.
-Dog teeth looked good
-Synchro springs were in good shape, not chewed up.
-Replaced the diff due to rust.
-Shimmed the diff bearings to a clearance of about 0.008" IIRC.
-Fork thickness was in spec for all three.

The only thing I did not double check by measurement was the MS beainrg clearance.

I think it is the clutch, but I bought it slightly used off of another DSO member.

Suggestions, experiences?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I used a brand new OEM style flywheel, so step height should not be an issue.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! nobody has experienced this on here or cares to share their experiences?

I find that hard to believe. lol.

I seems like quite a few people have had similar issues with Competition Clutches, and the common theme seems to be CC telling people that they need to use their flywheel.

Sounds like a step height issue, and if so ought to be disclosed.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that is possible since the mounts are pretty flexy, but i did not have any issues with the original transmission and clutch.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I just put that clutch in recently ... I have had no issues yet. I beat the hell out of it at an autoX event yesterday and it performed flawlessly. I also have a lightened OEM flywheel. I'll go do some running around today and see if I experience the same issue and report back. I'm also running an EX transmission ... so at least it's sort of a similar setup.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is what is frustrating. I have a friend with a CC stage 4, although it is a B series, and he says he has no problems shifting even at 8500 RPM.

·
Registered
86 MR2
1,401 Posts
how much play do u have in your shifter? Had quite a bit of play in mine and the same problem;high rev shifting, works going through high-low but low-high, u have to rev match it/throttle blip to get it to go, then put in ES bushings, makes shifting crisp, plus sort of minimized the problem, that part in the link where it has like 2 different pivot joints is most probable for the play

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clutch overcentering?
Possible I guess. i did have to adjust the free play at the pedal just to make it drivable after the clutch and transmission install.

how much play do u have in your shifter? Had quite a bit of play in mine and the same problem;high rev shifting, works going through high-low but low-high, u have to rev match it/throttle blip to get it to go, then put in ES bushings, makes shifting crisp, plus sort of minimized the problem, that part in the link where it has like 2 different pivot joints is most probable for the play
It's not a shifter problem.

I guess I need to get a way to see just how far the fingers are being depressed. I don't have a good flashlight and a mirror down here.

:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts