Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so since my y8 blew up I want to keep an eye out on all paramaters of my JDM d15b Vtec. oil temp, water temp, oil pressure.

Oil pressure:I will be removing the stock idiot light and replacing it with the provided sender. I have heard of the T fitings snaping in the block so thats why Im going to take stocker out I dont want to do the setup like on theoldone.com.

Oil Temp: Not really 100 percent sure on where to place this thing. My plan is to simply weld a bung in the oilpan but im really not sure exactly where on the oilpan I should place this? I was thinking by the sump to the right of the drain bolt.

Water Temp: Ok the JDM d15b vtec seems to have alot of extra little sensors and other little random things that are hooked up. One of them is on the upper radiator hose. not sure if I can tap into this. My original plan is to get one of those inline adapters and cut the radiator hose then have the sender off of that. not sure which hose to tap into upper or lower

Summury:
-Where to place oil temp sender
-which rad hose to use for water temp?
-does the JDM d15b have some stock locations/sensors I can use instead of taping new ones?
-What wire to tap into for it to be connected to dimmer switch?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Why do you not want to have a setup like TOO does for your oil pressure sensor? Brass Ts will snap. You can tap the stock idiot light location to 1/8" NPT or find an adapter and run the pressure sensor directly from the block.

I've never run an oil temp gauge so I canna help you there.

Again, you can tap the bleeder screw location on the upper radiator hose nipple housing to 1/8"NPT and put the sender on that.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
use the firewall mount kit from stealthmode.com for the oil pressure, i dont know about the oil temp, and water temp can be tapped into the piece connecting the head to the upper radiator hose.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
use the firewall mount kit from stealthmode.com for the oil pressure, i dont know about the oil temp, and water temp can be tapped into the piece connecting the head to the upper radiator hose.
ye its what my plan was.

stelthmode kit eehh? if they use just a solid bracet I dont wana run that. if it goes something like block>convert to 3AN >tee into idiot light and sender

that would be tit.

rep for all who posted if I can

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok here is what I came up with for my oil pressure sensor setup.

correct me if Im wrong anywhere.

bow to my paint skillz!!!

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,880 Posts
i just put my new motor in.. in the oil pan i straight drilled a hole for the oil temp sender.. ok like i got the temp sender got a drill bit that is a little smaller then the threads drilled the pan ( while it was off the car of course cuz i was doing the oil return also ) and i put the temp sender in the hole and got a ratchet and socket and threaded it into the hole i drilled then i got some jb weld just to make sure it wouldnt leak

i would put the oil temp sender in the oil pan where most of the oil is so it can get a good reading... idk about the water temp sender.. whatever you do dont take out the stock one and replace it with the aftermarket one.. i did that and the car overheated and the guage never moved:TD:

im using the brass 1/8 npt fittings for my car no problems... using it off the block to a T for the oil feed then a T for the new oil pressure sender and T for the idiot light just incase it drops oil pressure and i dont notice it on the guage.. just a safety for me because i dont stare at my guages all the time lol:alky:

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic VTI
838 Posts
I drilled and taped out the stock oil plug in the sump and mounted the oil temp sender in there, the only problem is that the oil in the sump is a lil cooler than the oil in the engine.

i mounted the pressure sender on the firewall with a legnth of hose from the stock location as i was afraid that it would break with a t joint strait off the block. the stock sender is in the t joint on the firewall. u need to run the stock sender aswell.

you can buy sandwich plates that fit between the block and the oil filter that have 4 holes for mounting senders. this is probably the best bet as its specifically designed for the senders.

as for the water temp gague i mounted this by drilling out and taping the bleed screw in the top radiator hose by the block. i dont think it matters what hose u mount it in, just that the top hose will register the water being hotter sooner than in the bottom hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.