Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just about to rebuild my engine and i want to have my bases covered. i have a complete gasket kit. top to bottom. but i want to get some liquid gasket for the just in case. what brand would u guys reccomend? i was thinking RTV liquid sealant. made by permatex. i have also heard alot of people swear but hondagasket. like the actual shit u buy from honda. what did u guys use when u redid your engine. or even a assortment of different kinds. thanks in advance

·
Registered
60 Posts
dito. hondabond... ive heard good things from it and used it on small things on both of my civics. so far no leaks in those areas im gonna use it in afew more areas on my 94, and HOPEFULLY fix my axle seal leaks :(

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Hondabond ftw :TU:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I've used the Red Permatex w/o any issues...Bone uses the grey Permatex for sealing trannies. I'm sure both are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so u use the red high temp permatex? thats one of the ones i was contemplating. any ohter suggestion? u can buy hondabond directly from honda i assume?

·
Registered
1994 EH9
616 Posts
God how i hate going to a honda dealer here in new york for parts. SO EXPENSIVE,dont know how it is everywhere else

·
Registered
1994 EH9
616 Posts
i wanted to use hondabond on my headers cause the gasket is leaking. Will it work,i didnt know if it would work due to the extreme heat that is passed through the headers

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
On headers, no. Try a muffler shop, they've got these things called welders. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But no...not a good idea.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I always use Permatex ultra gray, which is the same as Hondabond. What's really funny is if you order gray silicone from Nissan, you get a Nissan box with a Nissan part number, than a tube of Permatex ultra gray :p. Anyway, I've used the yellow, which just dry rotted in a few days, and the red was ok, but ultra gray is the best

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
dito. hondabond... ive heard good things from it and used it on small things on both of my civics. so far no leaks in those areas im gonna use it in afew more areas on my 94, and HOPEFULLY fix my axle seal leaks :(
Unless the seal is leaking where it meets the tranny even with a new seal, liquid sealant isnt going to do much for you.

to the OP: I usually use permatex black, and you will definitely need a liquid sealant if you are rebuilding a motor, even with a complete gasket kit. There are a few places that require sealant because there is no gasket there (behind oil pump housing, etc).

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
if the motor is built right there is no liquid sealant required except when specified in the manual for the valve cover and oil pan

and they recommend RTV blue for those

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i would never put an oil pump on a car without sealant behind it. Its too much work to pull it apart again if it leaks...plus i think every one ive pulled apart had sealant from the factory, unless they were all changed.

edit: the instructions on ALLDATA call for sealant on the oil pump as well as on the outer cam caps (at least on b-series). For me its just a precautionary thing since who knows whats warped a little, etc. If youve had good luck without it then thats cool too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts