Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lol.
Is that because autozone would be cheap?
Or to much work to find an oem t3 gasket at autozone?

I did look over everything when i got home and a bolt feel off . I got another one just waitong for it to cool down so i can put it on and see if that fixes it.

Other then that i gess ill order one. Which kind?
The all metal with the bubble?
Or the metal layer one with little dots on it? (fyi thats whats on it now)

Edit
After looking at it more and burning my finger lol. All bolts are lose. So 3 lose and 1 gone. Will tighten today and order 2 gaskets once i know which is best.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where in the world are you ordering from that would take a week?
Ebay. And is because 3days for shipping 1 day for processing and the 4th is a holiday. So if i order tonight i wont get till friday.

Call any local auto parts store and tell them you need a manifold to turbo gasket for a mid 80's Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.
I looked it up on autozone and its like $10 metal gasket ford tbird 85 but none in stock . Only place that has one is like 30mins away. So ill check it out tommorrow.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Same thing happened to me too. Use lock washers & get the gasket set for a 85 Thunderbird turbo. Advance Auto had it in stock for $10 or so, but P20 gets you 20% off online, then you can pick-up in store. Saves you $2 :)

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like ford part # e3ZZ-9450-A
Will do the trick. Its a metal crush type. Im going to call them in an hr when they open to see how much and if there n stock.

And yea i brought some better bolts and put them on hoping it was just lose bolts but nah gasket is blown on the inside.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Metal shim type gaskets tend to have near zero crush, and are better at holding a particular torque on bolts, they need good surfaces to seal well though. The metal foil over paper gaskets can conform to jacked up mating surfaces but really require you to check on the torque regularly until they settle in to a final crush, or you get exactly what you found.

JGTC-EG

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So a little over an hour car drive (total) and $12.
Got me a new gasket. It is the steel type like this one

I called ford and they dont stock them, all the autozone ,napas, and oreillys round me didnt have them in stock. So had to drive to get the one i got.

Got back to the house, let it cool down and this is what i found when i took it apart.

So put the new gasket back on and all is good. Went out and it boosted up.
Just gotta adjust my wastegate a lil tighter since i moved it.

I'll order both type of gaskets today and just have them as backups.
Will also check my bolts at the end of every week. Ive had the turbo on for almost 3months and never checked those bolts. lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
For best sealing results, go with a copper gasket :
I do not agree with this at all. Proper surface prep, torque, and a steel shim gasket are all you should ever need.

I've used both on my build with perfect results...never leaked!
I am glad they are working for you. I put my money on the steel shim gaskets and proper surface prep every time.

JGTC-EG

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, great idea.
Rep'd.
autozone and oreilly part number is es72811. It comes with the t3 manifold to turbo gasket and some compressor and oil gasket. It was like $11 and some change.

The other gasket is a ford oem part e3ZZ-9450-A

Also found out that the 00-07 dodge cummines uses a t3 gasket. I belive it is divided but it will still work.

But the thing that sucks is no of the places close to me had them in stock. The oreillys i went to only had one and im guessing it was old stock. But lesson learn im going to stock up on them lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts