Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
civic coupe
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well i bought a 92 auto dx sedan, the car is almost 100% bone stock, it is an automatic and has the factory d15b7 in it along with a short ram intake on it. Im having horrible gas mileage in this thing, im talking like 200 miles to a tank if im lucky, now i know i should be getting a heck of alot better than that. That car also feels way underpowered (i know its an econo shitbox) but i feel the car should have a little more power than it does.

i recently did plugs cap and rotor on the car (all of which were terribly bad) also did a valve adjustment (seemed to all be within spec) and im just lost, i put a full tank of gas in the car about a week ago or so and have 90 miles on the tank and im at half a tank of gas, any input on how to get the gas mileage on this thing back up would be great, also when i step on it and let it rev out in first gear it pukes out a bunch of carbon. the car has 189000 miles on it. Please let me know what you think. thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'd run some Seafoam through it. put half if the gas tank and the rest down the vacuum line that runs to the brake booster.

once you get the vacuum line near the bottle, vacuum will start sucking it into the line. give it a little gas and try not to stall it out.

once you get near the end of the bottle, quickly dump the rest in and let the engine stall or shut it off. let the car sit for 5-10 minutes turned off.

then hop in and go for a drive, rev it out and accelerate hard for a few miles. IT WILL SMOKE REAL BAD for just a bit, dont worry about it, it will go away.

that has worked pretty good for me in the past. i'd try it.

also, if your car is not warming up. that can effect gas milage.

·
Registered
civic coupe
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car warms up perfectly without any issues, heater blows hot as shit lol just trying to figure out why the gas mileage sucks so bad, i will have to get the seafoam tomorrow and try that. now i know a majority of people use it off the brake booster line, but which side do i pull the hose from? the booster correct and not the manifold right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
car warms up perfectly without any issues, heater blows hot as shit lol just trying to figure out why the gas mileage sucks so bad, i will have to get the seafoam tomorrow and try that. now i know a majority of people use it off the brake booster line, but which side do i pull the hose from? the booster correct and not the manifold right?
from the booster. it will suck towards the mani.

·
Registered
civic coupe
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gas tank doesnt leak at all, the old plugs i pulled out i couldnt get a read on them at all, i may have to pull them tomorrow and check, the old plugs looked like they hadnt been changed in years, they were ngks, and got replaced with oem replacement ngks, did have a leaky valve cover gasket but not anymore. the filter on the intake is really corroded as well think that this could have something to do with it?

·
Registered
civic coupe
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
checked the spark plugs and they are a little on the lean side, but still have some tan in the burn around the tip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts