Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
???
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read Makku's sticky but I need some more specific information.

Here is the problem, I have been getting some really shitty gas mileage lately. I put half a tank of gas in my car yesterday and since then i've driven 69 miles (so says the tripometer). I have used in that 69 miles a quarter and 1/2 tank of gas. I normally get at the LEAST 130 miles per half tank of gas. I have no idea why but this just started about 3 weeks ago.

Note: There has been a grimey, greasy looking substance appearing on the outside of my block and transmission. It looks like black sludge but i'm not sure what it is. My idle has been jumpy lately too and on the way home today I got as low as 200-300rpm it jumps in between that and 1000.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
I read Makku's sticky but I need some more specific information.

Here is the problem, I have been getting some really shitty gas mileage lately. I put half a tank of gas in my car yesterday and since then i've driven 69 miles (so says the tripometer). I have used in that 69 miles a quarter and 1/2 tank of gas. I normally get at the LEAST 130 miles per half tank of gas. I have no idea why but this just started about 3 weeks ago.

Note: There has been a grimey, greasy looking substance appearing on the outside of my block and transmission. It looks like black sludge but i'm not sure what it is. My idle has been jumpy lately too and on the way home today I got as low as 200-300rpm it jumps in between that and 1000.
maybe you busted cv boot. was the grease on the back of the motor?

as for the mpg try changing your fuel filter, spark plugs etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
With no cel's i would do a tune up if it hasnt been done. Black stuff on your motor/tranny sounds like dizzy leak but idk maybe the cv boot, like myHonda1 suggested, but i don't think that would affect mileage as much. Give us some real mpg #'s to compare and what you are running. And maybe a pic.

2 bumps in an hour and a half?? Give us a chance to respond, we got ya bro...:D

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Wheel bearings, trashed axels, tires out of balance and not correctly inflated will dick your milage also.

as for the OP no idea with the idle issue and such. Stock ecu? Not chipped or anything like that?

·
Registered
same
311 Posts
dude I've been chasing this problem for 2 years and 2 motors, but I still get 25 mpgs. gl though

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
i had the same problem, my timing was off bout 2 teeth. i went from 38mpg to about 25 or less freeway. i reset the timing and now im back up in the high 30's for gas mileage.

·
Registered
honda civic
271 Posts
id say tune up oil change air filter plugs fuel clean injectors..if its your CV when you turn it be knockin

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
???
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Every time I turn the wheel all the way to the left or all the way to the right there is this extremely loud squeel that doesn't stop until I turn the wheel the other way, is that what it is?

·
Registered
15 Posts
hmmm... well that squealing noise is definitely your power steering. did you hit anything recently? just to be safe check your power steering fluid and accessory belts.. sometimes the belts get old or the power steering pump has problems.

bad gas mileage and weird idle? greasy crap on your block? if all these things started at the same time.... did you hit anything lol? check engine seals and gaskets definitely. wipe all the crap off with a cloth and figure out what it is. then keep driving and see where the stuff comes from.
as for the mpg's.. check your plugs just for the hell of it, and pull out your O2 sensor if you want to and look at it to see if its dirty or damaged. might want to make sure all your vacuum hoses and the mass airflow sensor is in good condition.
and the idle.. you know where your idle air control valve is? theres quite a few DIY threads around about how to remove and clean em. do that for yourself and make sure your idle adjustment screw for manual and spring tensioner for automatic are okay. you might need to adjust your idle speed.

honestly though it sounds like a timing issue.. and i dont know too much about those. if you can isolate what the problem is, though, you can more easily solve it.

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
???
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish I had my camera so I could take a video of the stuff but I will definately try some of these things when I get home tonight and let you guys know what happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts