Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lookin at garretts web site the other day and saw they had and upgrade for the journal bearing T3/T4 turbo to a full ball bearing turbo, I've search and haven't really found any info I to satisfy. I'm simply interested in peoples feedback if you have done this, how simple, did you feel it was worth the time and money, and finally did you have to retune, I wouldn't think you would need to but I could be wrong.
Also if you dnt mind stating where you got it and roughly how much you paid for the upgrade

thanx :bong:

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx levi, and I did search and not just D-series.org if you read my post, did you do it import? did you post your experience with the process, If you did this then I apologize for not searching hard enough and making this thread.

·
Registered
57 Posts
its fairly easy just changing housings and wheels. also you would need a retune. on my srt spool with a standard bearing 50trim to a bb 50trim is about 250rpm sooner. what turbo do you have. if your turbo is in good condition i wouldnt worry about it but if your in need of a rebuild it is a good upgrade.

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wrd, Naw the Turbo is in great shape right now, That is a good thought, to wait till I need a rebuild, I just tuned like 2weeks ago or so, I def do not want to go back. plus by the time I need a rebuild I should be able to tune the car enough to have proper parameters.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
yeah, and if its a street car, hell yeah go for it.. but if it sees alot of antilag, do not get a ball bearing turbo, you cant rebuild them, and antilag kills turbos. so if you go to the track, and your car sees antilag, stick with a hybrid center section, because once the ball bearing turbo goes, you have to replace the whole center section.

·
Registered
57 Posts
^ but on the other side of that, bb turbos are alot stronger than journal bearing turbos. some t3/t4's are rated almost double load on the center section compaired to a journal bearing turbo. also when you do the bb upgrade you have to replace the whole center section anyway. bb turbos are alot better than a standard bearing in longevity even in race conditions. it may be easer to replace parts in a standard bearing turbo but if you going to replace the same parts twice as fast its not worth it in my opinion. also going bb upgrade is a performance inprovement. and just 250rpm spool can mean the differance to winning a race and loosing. better power band is also another advantage

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
BB is not needed at all. if you got the $FLOW$, get it, if not. no point in going broke for BB.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
99% of drag cars do not use bb turbos
i saw the 1% then yesterday at honda day. it was clutchmasters 9 second teggy <3 it was fucking SICK./

but yea. i agree.. BB is over rated IMO

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
i saw the 1% then yesterday at honda day. it was clutchmasters 9 second teggy <3 it was fucking SICK./

but yea. i agree.. BB is over rated IMO
yeah, the one that popped the back end up at mir at import vs. domestics.

alot of the guys use s372's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts