Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a house with a large two level garage. I would love to put a lift in there since they are honestly not all that expensive. I for sure thought they were at least $10-15k. Man I was way off.

Does anyone have any experience with certain brands they can recommend or things I should look for in a lift? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
4 post are easy, no bolting to the floor, no making sure the concrete floor is thick enough to bolt to. Can be moved, even with a car on the lift. Can do alignment and corner weights on the lift....if it is leveled. But less access to the car.

2 posts are all about access, if I had enough room, I'd have one of each.

We got our 4 post about 7 years ago, paid about $2300 for the lift and shipping from Greg Smith Equipment.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Looks on Craigslist for units a garage might be getting rid of due to shop closure or upgrading. Save $1000s!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never even thought of that. Good idea. I will do some hunting! Something scares me about a second hand lift though….

·
Registered
621 Posts
Never even thought of that. Good idea. I will do some hunting! Something scares me about a second hand lift though….
Me too. I've thought about putting one I'm property my folks own but will buy a new one instead. When it comes to that kind of stuff, I'm not taking the chance. Car could fall on you or what not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
I'd personally get a two post...ever try pulling a motor on a drive on lift....me neither cuz I know its gonna suck !

Just be realistic about what you wanna use it for. I mean do you really wanna dish out the extra money for alignment equipment?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd personally get a two post...ever try pulling a motor on a drive on lift....me neither cuz I know its gonna suck !

Just be realistic about what you wanna use it for. I mean do you really wanna dish out the extra money for alignment equipment?
What's the price diff between a 4 post and a 2 post? Would a 4 post just make it more easier to get under it? It would still, technically, be .on the ground. Lol
Seems like a 2 post would be the best for probably everyone on the forum. Lol. We need to atart going in halfs with other members on shop space. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
I wouldn't know the prices...I should've asked some questions before I puked out my opinion...is this gonna be for strictly pleasure/hobbyist use...or shop/professional use? Both styles have their own advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have pulled a few motors on the 4 post....raise it about 8 inches, engine hoist legs roll right under. Align and corner weight the race cars on it all the time.

A 2 post you would want it professionally installed, to know your concrete was thick enough and strong enough. I wouldn't be afraid of a used 2 post...most states require shops to have them periodically inspected. Probably wouldn't buy one from another shade tree mechanic. If it's professionally installed, have the installer inspect it.

4 post: easier to do most jobs
More expensive, need professional installation, more expensive, harder
move.
2 post: more difficult to do most jobs
Cheaper, easy to move, easy to DIY install, can do alignments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Greg Smith Equipment

2 post $1500-3500
4 post $1900-4500

Price difference seems to be weight and lift height dependent.
Correct my previous posts about the 4 post being cheaper.

·
Registered
207 Posts
4 post: easier to do most jobs
More expensive, need professional installation, more expensive, harder
move.
2 post: more difficult to do most jobs
Cheaper, easy to move, easy to DIY install, can do alignments.
I think you got that backwards.

I'd go 8000lb 2 post personally. Very versatile, and gives full access to the bottom of the vehicle.

Can even lift a full size half ton truck if you wanted.

Only downside is meeting the MPA and thickness requirements of the floor for safe installation.

Whatever way you decide to go, make sure the hoist is ALI Approved. Many of the cheaper ones are not. I personally would never use a hoist unless it bears the ALI Seal.

·
Registered
92 EG, 88 ST165 WRC
410 Posts
10k 2-post Challenger or Rotary all day long; lift anything.

4-post... no thanks.

FWIW I use 9k Rotary at work and have had an F150 x-cab LWB 4x4 on it; kind of sketchy, but it was more stable than I thought.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
10k 2-post Challenger or Rotary all day long; lift anything.

4-post... no thanks.

FWIW I use 9k Rotary at work and have had an F150 x-cab LWB 4x4 on it; kind of sketchy, but it was more stable than I thought.
I had a 4 door, dually, Duramax 3500 Silverado on a 9K asymmetrical two post lift once. Scary as hell, and there is no way in hell I would do that anymore.

:lol:

Things get a bit sketchy when you have that much vehicle hanging off of a lift.

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
We use 2 posts at work, ive never used a 4 post (with the the exception of an alignmemt rack, didnt really have posts though)

When I was in express, we had 2 post lifts that had the drive-over platforms, instead of the swinging arms, I liked those but you you can't get to a whole lot. Which is why they were in express lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts