Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in a rental property so I am not looking for permanent installs or a large investment, but I would like to be able to heat the garage over the winter.

It's a typical one car garage. Outer walls are insulated while the roof is not. I might try to talk the landlord into insulating the roof.

What are you experiences with various types of heaters. I am leaning towards something propane powered, but don't want to deal with fumes or excess CO2 output, etc.

And go!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I use propane in my oversized one car garage, I use one of then dual burner units that screws right onto a 20lb propane tank, I set in the corner and put a box fan behind it to blow the heat off of it. I never have issues with fumes, it goes all day from 11am to 11pm Saturday an sunday an im still alive and garage is warm, been doing it for 4 yrs

·
Registered
681 Posts
I use a ventless indoor propane wall heater hooked to a propane tank on one side of the garage and a window unit Ac/ heater on the other side to help circulate

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
get a few dryer exhaust hoses and route to garage.

That way you can dry your clothes, heat your garage and get a nice smell in there too!

·
Registered
Civic and Accord
225 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Dont use propane heaters. Well, I wouldnt. Unless you want to die.

I would stick with hard work and hard alcohol.

Maybe you could be up for a sweet DIY fab project, High efficiency air ram wood stove?

Ghettoest heater idea ever, but super cheap and itll work, even has a built in theromostat.... buy a used Oven off of CL. Aim a fan at it. Open it and turn it on. Lol.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont use propane heaters. Well, I wouldnt. Unless you want to die.

I would stick with hard work and hard alcohol.

Maybe you could be up for a sweet DIY fab project, High efficiency air ram wood stove?

Ghettoest heater idea ever, but super cheap and itll work, even has a built in theromostat.... buy a used Oven off of CL. Aim a fan at it. Open it and turn it on. Lol.
I'd love to do a wood stove, but being a rental I doubt the landlord would be pleased with me cutting a hole in either the roof or the side wall for a flue vent.

:lol:

And hard alcohol tends to get my super drunk in short order, as in black out drunk.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Couple things I do during the "winter" here in Texas.

1.) close up the two exterior garage vents with plastic and tape...keeps some of the draft out.

2.) take the other car for a spin, get it up to operating temps, then park it in the garage next to the CRX with the hood open

3.). Use a stand-up electric heater in the general area I'm working in.

Granted, it usually will only get below freezing for a couple nights here so this won't work for a lot of you guys.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I was only joking about the dryer thing.
I live in florida, i know nothing of heating supplies you all speak of.
When it gets under 50 here, Ill open an oven door and turn on the dryer to get a jump on heating up the indoors.
Ive been known to use a hair dryer to heat up the sheets before I goto bed!

You can always grab a couple cheap hair dryers and crank those at either end of garage.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
My electric bill has a cap so I use an old hotel a/c-heater unit.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
If you do the dryer vent idea, make a deal with the wife that she cleans the house and youll do the laundry.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i still say propane is the way to go, its cheap the heater attachment is pretty cheap, the dual burner is like 50 bucks. buy a CO dectector from walmart and plug it in the garage if it goes off turn heater off an go get some fresh air. propane heaters are safe to use if used smart

·
Registered
92 EG, 88 ST165 WRC
410 Posts
Forget 'pane; the area it heats is crap. Think about it: heat rises, so the are that gets heat is above it and maybe a few feet in front. Inefficient. I know you're renting, but you should be able to wire in a decent electric forced-air heater as such:

DAYTON Electric Utility Heater, 5/4.1/3.3/2.5 kW - Electric Utility Heaters - 3UG73|3UG73 - Grainger Industrial Supply

I have something like this in my 2 car shop w/ 18' ceilings and it can get over 80* even if the outside temp is in the single digits. At first I used propane tanks with burners, but like I said above, they'd only heat a small portion of the shop; the rest would be cold as shit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
how about just using a coat lol.i live in tx so it doesnt really get cold... a northface and im good to go:)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts