Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im dropping a new engine in this weekend and have been putting together a list of mods im going to get in the next couple of months in prep for a turbo conversion next year.
i thought id offer up the list for you all to have a look at and so i can take suggestions of alternatives which are better etc. ive been trying to find other parts such as performance conrods, pistons etc but havent had much luck, the list is everything i can find so far, any ideas/suggestions on parts ive missed would be appreciated. whats everyones thought on this set up and what sort of bhp/whp should i expect from this kind of setup, im hoping to get between 180-200bhp.

D15z6 (UK Spec 1.5i Sohc Vtec, 115bhp standard)
AEM V2 Induction Kit
Skunk2 Pro Series Intake Manifold
66mm Skunk2 Throttle Body
FP Racing 4-1 Manifold
De-cat pipe
Skunk2 Megapower Catback Exhaust
Iridium Spark Plugs
Magnecor Comp Ht Leads
Skunk2 Stage 1 Cam (other recommendations?)
AEM or Skunk2 Adjustable Cam Gear
AEM Tru-Power Pulley Kit
Skunk2 Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, Racing Valves
AEM Fuel Rail
AEM Fuel Filter
Walbro 190 Fuel Pump
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
Kaiten Lightweight Flywheel
Hondata s200/s300 or Crome (Not sure what is best)

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
D15z6 (UK Spec 1.5i Sohc Vtec, 115bhp standard) --- Cool
AEM V2 Induction Kit ---overpriced, ebay w/ k&n filter
Skunk2 Pro Series Intake Manifold ---good choice
66mm Skunk2 Throttle Body ---overkill, 62mm MAX, 60mm is fine
FP Racing 4-1 Manifold ---link? never seen it.
De-cat pipe & Skunk2 Megapower Catback Exhaust ---hit up the local exhaust shop
Iridium Spark Plugs ---NGK coppers instead
Magnecor Comp Ht Leads ---Magnecor makes excellent products.
Skunk2 Stage 1 Cam (other recommendations?) --- Crower2 if it's vtec, and not vtec-e
AEM or Skunk2 Adjustable Cam Gear ---either works. look at RAGE racing, our sponsor, for great prices on accurate gears.
AEM Tru-Power Pulley Kit ---no power gain
Skunk2 Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, Racing Valves ---crower springs/retainers, valves unnecessary, but might help airflow a tad
AEM Fuel Rail ---NO power gain, stock can flow 600hp worth of fuel
AEM Fuel Filter ---NO power gain
Walbro 190 Fuel Pump ---unnecessary
Fuel Pressure Regulator ---unnecessary with crome, but beneficial for atomization @ 45-50psi
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch ---I have this clutch. Works great.
Kaiten Lightweight Flywheel ---if you've got slicks and a track, stock is best.
Hondata s200/s300 or Crome (Not sure what is best) crome is almost free. It's debatibly better than s300, and much better than s200.

Instead of valves and a few other things, here, send the cylinder head off to be ported. Also, look into honda "PMS" pistons for a shorter compression height that should be close to your current pistons, if the block is the same as the d15b. It raises compression considerably.

Compression and airflow are the REAL ways to make power in a N/A motor. These should be at the top of your list, and you build your motor around these things.

-josh-

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you want to get ~180 bhp, IMO you'll need to switch from vtec-e to vtec, get high compression pistons, good camshaft, good tuning and hope for the best. (and probably ITB's)

Take a look t rushi's build, it will give you some ideas about the way you should tune your car ;)

btw, great advices AMKrew!

·
total goofball
1994 Civic coupe EX
375 Posts
D15z6 (UK Spec 1.5i Sohc Vtec, 115bhp standard) --- Cool
AEM V2 Induction Kit ---overpriced, ebay w/ k&n filter
Skunk2 Pro Series Intake Manifold ---good choice
66mm Skunk2 Throttle Body ---overkill, 62mm MAX, 60mm is fine
FP Racing 4-1 Manifold ---link? never seen it.
De-cat pipe & Skunk2 Megapower Catback Exhaust ---hit up the local exhaust shop
Iridium Spark Plugs ---NGK coppers instead
Magnecor Comp Ht Leads ---Magnecor makes excellent products.
Skunk2 Stage 1 Cam (other recommendations?) --- Crower2 if it's vtec, and not vtec-e
AEM or Skunk2 Adjustable Cam Gear ---either works. look at RAGE racing, our sponsor, for great prices on accurate gears.
AEM Tru-Power Pulley Kit ---no power gain
Skunk2 Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, Racing Valves ---crower springs/retainers, valves unnecessary, but might help airflow a tad
AEM Fuel Rail ---NO power gain, stock can flow 600hp worth of fuel
AEM Fuel Filter ---NO power gain
Walbro 190 Fuel Pump ---unnecessary
Fuel Pressure Regulator ---unnecessary with crome, but beneficial for atomization @ 45-50psi
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch ---I have this clutch. Works great.
Kaiten Lightweight Flywheel ---if you've got slicks and a track, stock is best.
Hondata s200/s300 or Crome (Not sure what is best) crome is almost free. It's debatibly better than s300, and much better than s200.

Instead of valves and a few other things, here, send the cylinder head off to be ported. Also, look into honda "PMS" pistons for a shorter compression height that should be close to your current pistons, if the block is the same as the d15b. It raises compression considerably.

Compression and airflow are the REAL ways to make power in a N/A motor. These should be at the top of your list, and you build your motor around these things.

-josh-
agreed

·
Registered
429 Posts
hmmm d15z6 ...maybe its combination between any d15 block (what's exactly ?) and d16z6 head
if thats true.. thats not vtec-e but vtec sohc...am i right..? but why its only have 115 hp....
@AMkrew1
what is your car exactly ? i think it have same spec with mine..honda city type z (asian market) d15 with sohc vtec @115 hp

oh yeah i have question.. can PM7/P29 piston fit in any d15 block ..to gain more compression

do u all ever know or maybe use ecu management dastek unichip ? this thing have alot feature too and can live tuning too,its very popular in my country ,indonesia,most of people that have modified their engine use this

take a peek...
http://www.dastek.co.uk/unichip.htm

·
Registered
429 Posts
whoaaa. how much compression is it ?.. so which piston beside PM7/P29 that fit d15 which yield compression around 11-11.5 maybe,because i want keep use 91-92 ron and maybe 95 for option

oh yeah, about IM and TB.., my engine have vertical TB , if i change the manifold with skunk2 pro which is the TB will be in horizontal position, can i keep use my stock TB (surely i will reamer the diamenter to match with IM diameter) to match with skunk manifold ?? just plug n play?

·
Registered
95 Posts
hmmm d15z6 ...maybe its combination between any d15 block (what's exactly ?) and d16z6 head
if thats true.. thats not vtec-e but vtec sohc...am i right..? but why its only have 115 hp....
It's a combination of an d15z and a Y5 head ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's a combination of an d15z and a Y5 head ;)
r u sure bro ? Y5 head is vtec-e....but at the head there is no Vtec-E word..only Vtec Honda
oh yeah .. my stock d15 head is P2J-IN-1.. whats that mean,coz i never find that code..
all i know is P2J-X for Y8

the letter 'IN' maybe indonesia ?hahaha

·
Registered
66 Posts
well it seems a little unlikely for the 180-200hp with out the turbo... but it's still a good goal. if you are planing on going turbo in the not to distant future then dont drop too much money on the exhaust manifold. and i would have to agree with the akmee package for the cam (www.akmee.com) it looks like a great package (cam, valves, retainers, and cam gear) and it has great reviews. but if you need a new fuel pump you might as well go for the walbro 255 because it's the same price and it leave room for an even bigger upgrade (but the stock will be easily sufficent until you go turbo). and i also have to agree with saving for the port and polish. and i would say go with crome it's a lot less costly and it offers a lot of features. well good luck on the build!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the advice guys will give it some thought. how would i go about converting from vtec-e to sohc vtec?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts