Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here, and rather new to honda motors in general. I plan on building a D motor either this year or next year. The motor will probably be going into a 1992-1995 civic (most likley a hatchback) Im assuming that the car will probably have a D16z6 in it (does that sound right?) I would like to know the best way to go about getting the most power out of it while not using a turbo or nitrous. The compression can't be too high because all the gas around here is 92 octane, 94 at a few gas stations.

If anyone knows a good way to go about this that would be great, also listing some parts would help so I could start building a list of what I need to get and how much I need to spend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the compression can be increased but not past about 11:1 I think it is for 92 octane right?

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Well the compression can be increased but not past about 11:1 I think it is for 92 octane right?
Big tuna is running something like 13 or 14:1 and he can run 93 octane...
It just depends on your fuel management system I guess.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
you could run 92 octane with 11;1:1..
My set up in my coupe:
a6 bottom end rebuilt
y8 head ported milled 40 thou. by JG
JG 85vt35 cam stock valves/retainers
Skunk2 adj camgear
FPR
apex 4-1 header
no cat
2.5 inch piping to magnaflow muffler
b4 the new bottom end(a6) I dynoed at 110 tq/127 hp
I havnt had it dynoed with the new bottom end, but im positive its near 140 hp.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'm runnng 11.4:1 CR on 91 octane, and far from detonation. For a street car, I am probably fine to go up to 12:1 if I want. (not that there is much difference.)

My setup made 144 whp, 122 wtq with stock ports in the head, anmd stock valves. (I'll take care of that this summer)

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52008

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
140 hp sounds like it would be great for a little street car, if you don't mind me asking how much did that motor cost you toddnos?

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
i got the a6 block for 150
hot tank line bore hone deck 500
jg cam 185
mill/valve job 185
portjob 180
cam gear 85
header 200
fpr 120(aem)
This stuff was aquired over time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you like the cam your running? most of the companys that I know of only make cams for the b motors, do you know of any other good cams for this motor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ive been checking out the crowers and I think I will pick one of those up along with and aem cam gear. One other thing, I found out that the car Im gonna be getting is probably going to have a D15b7 or a D15b8, what I wanted to to know is what would I need for engine managment since the D15b7/D15b8 uses OBD-1 and the D16a6 uses OBD-0 and the y8 is OBD-2 and vtec, and what head gasket should I use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts