Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive been around this site for about a year and a half now and have made a several threads about my build (it is my first build btw!),
but never a complete one as they were scattered over that time. so ill use this to update things as they are progressing.

CONDENSED MOD LIST updated May 30/10

Engine
D16Z6 rebuilt
9:1 SRP pistons
eagle h-beams
ARP headstuds
stock head
Innovative motor mounts

Turbo Kit
T3/T4 50trim .63/.60
Go-Autoworks Log mani
Go-Autoworks 2.5" charge pipes
Go-Autoworks 2.5" downpipe and open dump
Greddy Type RS BOV
Tial 38mm WG
stealthmode oil line kit
RC550 injectors
FMIC 27x6.5
Omni 4bar map sensor
Hondata s300 in a P28, hooked up with a rywire OBD-0 to OBD-1 harness
AEM A/F guage
Autometer Phantom II boost and oil gauges

Transmission
stock si cable
ES shifter bushings
Action 2KS kevlar clutch and pp
stock flywheel

Suspension
Skunk2 ProS full coilovers
Innovative traction bar
Front ES bushings in the LCA's
Converted back to a manual steering rack

Exterior
Vis ZC Carbon hood
amber corner and bumper lights
99/00 si/sir wheels wrapped in falken azenis 205/50/15
OEM si lip
JDM rear spoiler

Interior
JDM DC2R steering wheel
JDM DC2 shift boot
Skunk2 billet knob

i originally picked up a beat up 90Si hatch in june 06 and drove it up until april 07, at which point i found another minty, essentially
much rust free 90Si hatch instead, so heres what she looked like when i picked her up.

Nasty ass wheel gap!

Interior
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My original plan was to just swap this Z6 i picked up, but then i got to thinking i really want a turbo'd car since ive never had one before
and with this being my first project i figured why the hell not! since the engine was already out and all i thought it might be a good idea to build
up the bottom end and make this thing more reliable, as i kinda set a goal of 300whp for a daily driver/weekend track car. i dont know how or why i came up with
that number it just seemed like a nice round number to shoot for lol :p

The engine on a stand, about half way through the tear down, as the swap came complete with a hydro tranny, harness, dizzy etc...i wrote up a little power point on what i did to tear it down, as i didnt know fuck all about engines. all i had was some basic tools, the manual a digi cam and i wrote down exact instructions on how i took everything apart. I also wanted to do the entire rebuild myself, but i decided against it, as it seemed pretty hard and i didnt have the time, tools or patience to do it all.

Behind the block

Valve cover off, the engine had about 200,000km's on it when i picked it up

Head off

Intake mani all dirty

Fresh outta the hot tank!

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Head also fresh outta the tank! with stock components except for new valve stems

Bottom end assembled, new parts include 9:1 SRP 0.02 over pistons, Eagle H-Beams, new oil and water pumps, timing belt, all new gaskets and ARP headstuds.

How she looked when i took her home, with fresh machined OEM flywheel,an ACTION 2KS clutch will be mated to it during the swap, and also a cheapy egay header.

Unfortunately i dont have any pics of me and my buddies doin the swap just after it was all finished, i have the nice g-lean goin on lol. Other swap goodies included new NGK wires, NGK plugs, a Rywire OBD-1/Vtec conversion harness, and cheapy homemade intake

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So on to the rest of the car, heres were some new goodies i had before they went on the car

Skunk2 Pro-S coilovers

Ebay amber corner lights

Installed with painted amber bumper lights as well, i used TAMIYA model paint, its called CLEAR ORANGE, i got it in a can for easy application

At night with some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

Skunk 2 Weighted Knob, with matching DC2-R shift boot and non-srs wheel with a fresh horn button cause the other one was worn out like a dirty hooker. A side note on the wheel, it fits in with no real issues all you have to do is take out your signal canceller, so you have to turn it off manually. theres a short shifter that came with the car when i got it, i think its a B&M...also just installed some ES Poly shifter bushings! Also found out that my shift linkage was installed improperly when it was converted from auto to manual, but that has been fixed and she shifts so much better now!

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DC2 console! thats right i gots mutha fuckin cup holders and an armrest!

Installed! it bolted up near perfect, the screw hole on the right side fits up with stock mount and i had to drill a small
hole for the left side

Dc2 Black and red stitched Recaros

Drivers side installed using brackets from Wedge Engineering and universal Recaro rails

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And now onto the turbo kit! Courtesy of Greg from Autoworks! If you guys are considering getting any turbo goodies, dont hesistate to look to this man for your needs! :TU:

Kit components:
T3/T4 50 Trim .63 A/R with a Function7 -3AN regulator
Log manifold
2.5" charge pipes bead rolled!
2.5" downpipe
extra long open dumptube
bar and plate FMIC 27x6.2.5
All necessary couplers and clamps
RC 550's

Bead rolled goodness

Log mani

Nice welds!

Greddy BOV and Tial WG

RC 550's

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
WOOHOO! 500th post! :bong:.....Fresh after a wash and polish, oh ya the exhaust is a 2.5" mandrel bent pipes with a dynomax super turbo

Some other pics....

well i guess thats it for now, ill update this thread as i move along! thanks fo' looking :)

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Really nice build man. What's next on the mod list?
thank you! ummmm not too sure yet, i still need to finish up with the turbo kit, i still need some engine management (prob go with a s300), oil lines, sparkplugs, and some gauges (which i plan on installing in my glove box for a stealthy look). Also, if its in the budget i wanna get an OBX LSD.

later down the line i think i might look into a traction bar, strut and sway bars, and install my ES Poly master kit. And if i wanna go all the way a JDM front end

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice build, whats your Hp goals?
to start off with im gonna keep things tame and tune for about 200-225whp, which is all i think one would need for a daily driver, but as i get used to it ill crank the boost up! ive never driven a boosted car on a daily basis before, but from what i hear it is like crack! so ill keep it at a low dose to start and work my way up lol

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
to start off with im gonna keep things tame and tune for about 200-225whp, which is all i think one would need for a daily driver, but as i get used to it ill crank the boost up! ive never driven a boosted car on a daily basis before, but from what i hear it is like crack! so ill keep it at a low dose to start and work my way up lol
boost is crack!
i dont see 200-225 lasting more than a week or 2.
you wont appreciate that turbo until after 15psi, then youll wet yourself.
find a good tuner that can make a good torque curve, crank it up to 20 psi and go have an lt1 for lunch.
nice selection of parts and build. sounds like you did some homework.
BRAVO!!

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boost is crack!
i dont see 200-225 lasting more than a week or 2.
you wont appreciate that turbo until after 15psi, then youll wet yourself.
find a good tuner that can make a good torque curve, crank it up to 20 psi and go have an lt1 for lunch.
nice selection of parts and build. sounds like you did some homework.
BRAVO!!
lol ya since the turbo is so big i would have to crank it up in order for it to be really useful, so we'll see how it goes, spring is painfully far away at this point.....

pretty much since the day i got a civic i have been reading and reading as much as i can, about what can or can not be done to this car, so ya i guess that was all my homework! which is how i discovered this site too, im glad i went with the D! :)

considering about a year and a half ago i didnt know jack shit about working on a car or even what specific parts were and how they worked, i'd say ive come a long way!

thanks to everyone for all the positive comments so far! i know i love my car, its good to know you guys like it too! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so there was a sale on autometer guages today so i figured it would be a good time to grab a gauge or two. Ended up with a Phantom II electric short sweep oil pressure guage (full sweep was a $100 bones more!), and a mechanical boost/vac gauge, which wont be in till next week. As well a couple more gauge pods. heres a shot with my AEM air/fuel gauge.

i think ill be getting the fuel pressure gauge in a month or two.
my ultimate goal with these is to somehow rig them into my glove box, for a nice stealthy look :TU:

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just picked up a spare Z6 head (no valve cover, vtec solenoid is still there tho) and intake mani today, got it for $60 bones!
one of the studs on the exhaust side is bent, and its pretty grimey. i hope its not warped, but the guy said he did the proper sequence to unbolt it....
not sure what im gonna do with it, bought it just so i can learn about how to take it apart and put it back together, i never got a chance to do that the first time round.
maybe down the line go for KMS valve train setup from FJT :TU: and a port and polish...i dunno. anyways i think the learning experience will be worth what i paid

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
another small update, picked up this bad boy for $620 little while ago (might sound expensive for you guys in the US, cause shipping everything up here will automatically cost me at least $100 in fees, customs and taxes)
I got it from a local guy so i saved on shipping and customs. He bought it to turbo his DC2-R, but decided against it to my benefit hehe

i suspect that if the weather is nice, i should be getting my kit up and running sometime in april! woo hoooooo! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeaaa! got my Omni 4 bar plug and play map sensor today! thanks to Jason at Rage and also to 4thGEN for setting up the group buy :TU:

also just put in an order to Mfactory yesterday for a oil block adapter and a catch can, the catch can is on back order so wont be getting it for a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts