Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sitting in class and figured I'd type this up out of sheer boredom.

I've had these coilovers on since late February. My specific ones are for the EJ6/7/8 chassis, and are on my '98 hatch.

I'll simply list off the pros and cons rather than get into it, as I'm lazy.

Pros:
- Amazing ride quality

- Damping adjustments effect ride drastically and lets you fine tune stiffness / plushness of the struts, I've run them in multiple positions and feel a great difference depending on how much the spring is preloaded.

- Let you slam the car. This sounds immature to say, but with the preload and ride height maxed downwards (which is how I have it because I'm a hardparker :3dtard:) I can fit about two fingers under my pinch welds, and I can stand a Honda key up against the side skirts.

- The year warranty included. I got mine from JHPusa.com, which is a pretty awesome site, so I felt confident buying from them; they included a complete one-year warranty, so I felt safe hitting potholes with ease.

Cons:
- They're pretty expensive, mine being the cheapest available at $630. Accords and other Hondas seem to be almost 100$ more. I'm a broke kid in high school working minimum wage, so it took forever to save, but I'm glad I did.

- The locking rings for the preload corrode a bit. A little bit of never-seize to keep them unstuck and PB plaster to knock them free seemed to do the trick just fine.

- They only included one preload adjustment wrench, so when you want to knock the preload free, you need to have a buddy whacking one with the hammer and punch whilst you hold the top or bottom ring still with the one wrench they did include.

So all in all, I like the ride. When my upper control arms aren't twerking and banging against the strut tower, the ride is beautiful. I'd prefer it over stock. However, it's my own fault I make the ride crappy, haha. I could fix it, but I need an angle grinder and some balls. You can try your luck with 375$ Racelands, but I love this system and trust the warranty.

Also, keep in mind, when I'm reviewing these, they're sitting under my car that rolls around on New England pothole infested, frost heave riddled garbage roads, and I still love them.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Im not a fan at all!

I prefer a good spring and shock setup over these super bright china man special. The springs are overly stiff for any DD. Spring rate is not progressive, you can almost feel that each coil is off from the next. The car does not feel well balance when push on. Pushing them harder through a corner, you better hope you dont hit a bump as you instantly feel the car unsettle.....

SKIP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
^^

getting a corner balance like I did will bring out the best of any coilover.

I have these and for what they are, im not overly impressed, but theyre not too bad.
The corner balance made the ride and handling a night and day difference.

·
Registered
844 Posts
^^

getting a corner balance like I did will bring out the best of any coilover.
x2 any mid to high level oval, or roadcoarse team has a set if scales find one make them your friend then use them every chance you get. my last crx was on the scales at least once a month tryin anything for better a handle corner entry

·
Premium Member
92 civic cx hatch
1,012 Posts
I like mine in my ek coupe daily. Have survived -50 up hear in Alaska and haven't leaked or changed how they ride. I bought a set for my eg hatch. My other pair was an older set of skunk2 coil overs. Talk about stiff and finally blew up

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I dont see why everyone hates on f&f now days, ive had my f&f type 2 for 4 years now and not one problem with them.they are built with good quality I think, most people dont have experience with multiple coilovers to compair with anyways.

Yes the stock spring rate is pretty bad for a dd vehicle but you can have different rate springs put on from the factory, also I emailed the company and they said the eibach ems coilover springs will work with their coilovers so maybe someday I will change my springs to something a little less stiff. If I remember right my 12k/8k setup is about 650/500

·
Registered
57 Posts
here is a list of all the suspension setups I've had

-Tein Basic Coilovers
-eBay Coilover Sleeves on Stock Shocks
-Skunk2 Springs on KYB AGX Shocks
-Koni Yellow on Eibach Sportlines
-Koni Yellow on OTS Ground Control Coilovers
-Tokico Blues on Nuespeed Springs

I take my Type-1's over all of them. I'm on 2 years daily use through NY winters

I'd probably pick Type-2's over them if anything

I just hate that they don't have brake line mounts...

EDIT: i bought mine direct from function for $500 shipped.. preston (P-World on HT) hooked me up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts