Registered
89 crx
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
thats not a bad price on a sleeved built block. not sure about their work tho, i have no experience with them at all.

•Arias Forged Piston set with rings, wrist pins and locks
•Eagle Forged Connecting Rods
•Darton MID Sleeved Block
•Machining: Fresh bore, hone and deck of the block
•Labor: precision measurements of rod and main bearings, file fit piston rings, complete professional assembly
•Genuine Honda OEM oil pump and main seal

^^^looks A+ to me for $3100

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Sleeving = $800-1200
Forged Pistons/Rods = $800
Machine Work = $500, max.
Total = $2500, absolute maximum.

$500 for labor is a bit high i guess, but for a blueprinted block and shit, not as bad.
Problem is the quality of the work. Talking to people that have had heads/blocks done by them, it's just problems problems problems.

And if your paying $3000 to have someone build a d-series short block.. Your basically retarded. $3000 goes a long way into a D/B/F/H/F/K.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The pricing looks pretty good to me. Not sure exactly what your asking, but that block could handle anything you could throw at it most likely and can be very streetable.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Thats a joke the sleeving alone is 1200....... so find me some forged pistons rods bearings oil pump and gaskets for 200 bucks.
Find me some sleeves that are $1200. Sleeves are a joke imo anyway.

...jk about finding those sleeves. I know you can. Im just saying...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
A sleeved block is complete overkill unless your over 400hp and even then, many people make more power than that reliably with std block.

Sleeves are great for a high budget serious race engine.

For a street engine you don't need anywhere near as fancy as that set up.

It is a built block, not a built engine so there is no head.

No one can go near estimating your power level without the head and boost if boost is applicable.

·
Registered
89 crx
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was gonna use a bit of N2o to reduce spool time on the turbo. anyone think a stock z6 head and arp head bolts will take 800-1000 hp? or will that blow the head clean off the motor? i could get a z6 head made from a block of centrifugally casted metal. depending on what the oil galleys look like i might be able to get one machined out of forged billet.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Ummmm

800 to 1000hp is not easy to get with a Honda and if you do get it, it is not easy to keep all the parts inside the engine for very long at all.

A billet head will not help stop the head blowing off the block. That takes better bolts and better block.

A custom made one off billet block could cost anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 JUST for the bare block.

A custom billet head to match could double that bill.

Then there are the custom studs and the custom gaskets and and and, pretty soon you have $100,000 in the car. Would you sooner have a car or a house.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ummmm

800 to 1000hp is not easy to get with a Honda and if you do get it, it is not easy to keep all the parts inside the engine for very long at all.

A billet head will not help stop the head blowing off the block. That takes better bolts and better block.

A custom made one off billet block could cost anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 JUST for the bare block.

A custom billet head to match could double that bill.

Then there are the custom studs and the custom gaskets and and and, pretty soon you have $100,000 in the car. Would you sooner have a car or a house.
House.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
800-1000 HP out of a d-series........ Shooting for the moon eh?

·
Registered
89 crx
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if i miss at least i might land among the stars, and have a good time torque'n bolts and greasing bearings. i was really hopeing to use a stock block. i see people saying that stock honda cranks are obsuridly strong so the stationary mass of the engine is the weakest link in this combo for sure the question is just what to do about that..

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
i know if it was easy and cheep everyone would do it. so what your saying is 800 to 1000 hp isn't really gonna happen using a real Honda d16z6..
NO THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING.

I am saying that to avoid blowing the head off, you do not need a stronger head, you need stronger attachment of the head to the block.

I was also NOT SAYING 800 to 1000hp would blow it off. YOU SAID THAT. I simply said your suggested method to increase the strength that the head is held down by would not work and I suggested what it takes to hold down better than std Honda sized 10mm ARP head studs.

As to whether you can make 1000hp on a D without lifting the head is another matter and I have no advice in that regard other than to say you had better have an exceptionally good tune.

I really am running short on patience here as this thread seems to be based on complete bullshit.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
well i think 800 horses can be done with a d16, but will it be streetable..... probably not...

1st- you would need to fire ring or o-ring the block and head so when you stuff 30+psi from a monster turbo with nitrous, your chance of blowing a headgasket will be less

2ed- your probably want to drill and tap for over-sized headstuds to keep the head buttoned down

3rd- your gonna need a great can and a great flowing head to stuff everything into the cyclinders

this is my .02

1 - 20 of 32 Posts