Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1995 civic ex 4dr
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi d series lovers, this my first post, ill b making abuild thread soon but I do have somequestions before I finish my build , here is the list of all parts I already have in my possession

Head: d16z6 head
Ported and Polished
3 angle valve job
supertech valves std size
supertech valve guides
supertech valve stems
Akmee valve springs
Akmee Ti retainers
Akmee cam gear
Akmee type s cam (similar to crower stg 2)
full cometic top end gasket kit has all gaskets head needs only comes
with 76mm head gasket 0.030 thikness
edelbrok performance x intake manifold
stoke d16z6 throttle body
Ebay 4-2-1 header/test pipe
iridium spark plugs/ngk wires

block:
arp head studs
full cometic bottom end gasket kit
endyn oil pump
arp rod bolts
acl race bearing
aclrod rearing
acl thrust washers
micro polished cranck/balanced 10k rpm
will b using stock rods
pistons are stock <<my question will b about piston choice
cc stage 2 clutch/ ultra light flywheel.
all these parts already bought .

My dilemma is I have been researching a lot and still have not come up with good piston choice, the answer imlooking for is what piston I need for high compression and what EXACTLY needs to b done to make it work with this block/head so I can tell that to the machine shop
p29, pm3 ,pg6 all those I could not find clear answer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
there's gonna be other people commenting but check out zealautowerks.com and mess with the compression ratios it's a pretty good site

·
Registered
75 Posts
zealautowerks is extremely handy. cool to just play around with and compare some stuff as said before.

Would you not do your rods too if you've done everything else?

·
Registered
1995 civic ex 4dr
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this for an N/A build? How much power do you want out of this thing? Stock rods are only good for up to about 200hp, so depending on what you are trying to do you may need to upgrade them as well.
well its going to be my daily driver/fam car, its going b in 4dr ex eg, I would b happy with 160 wheel+

·
Registered
64 Posts
Like other people said, mess with zealautoworks to figure out what pistons you want.

A good machine shop should be able to CC your head and pistons and then deck the block to hit any compression ratio you are looking for, assuming the dome shape gets you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
1995 civic ex 4dr
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im more worried about the detonation/ping the cr ration I mean im looking for a bump from stock but im looking mainly for reliable and long life, and something that will work with stock rods.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Depends on whatever piston you decide, it might be a good idea to clay it to make sure you have a good clearance. I will have to do this on mine with both 5 degrees advance and retard on the cam gear.

·
Registered
1995 civic ex 4dr
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends on whatever piston you decide, it might be a good idea to clay it to make sure you have a good clearance. I will have to do this on mine with both 5 degrees advance and retard on the cam gear.
sry for mis communication, but im actually looking for advice what piston to use with stock rods

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
I think p29s and a6 pistons are your only choice unless you go forged.

·
Well.......
2,493 Posts
This no matter what.

I think p29s and a6 pistons are your only choice unless you go forged.
x2.

If you have a good machine shop, you can get a set of P29s and have the machine them down

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
As does DNJ

I dont know why I can't just let lazy people fail

The Zeal Calc even has them.

Consider all options.

Ti Retainers. Bleh

Hate to crack one on a DD after 10k+ miles. OEM is Solid

You need to figure out why they are different. Not which is better, because there is no answer, to a silly question like that.

Keep reading. Only YOU can make up your mind.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
PG6's may have to have the valve reliefs cut a little wider to compensate for the vtec head. I am almost certain that a z6 with a cam wont hit the p29 pistons but I see varying info on the pg6 with a cam.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/114651-pg6-pistons-d16z6.html

EDIT: I have used NPR pistons in 6 builds, not all hondas but never once a piston failure and I got my 91 2wd truck with a bad EGR making it spark knock constantly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts