Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a deal on a 98 civic ex. It has the y8 with a manual trans.

I bought this for a motor swap for my 91 crx dx d15b2 dpfi. Manual trans

The goal here is to have a reliable car that has a little more hp then the duel point did.

I'm trying to use the whole Buffalo with this swap. The question is does anyone see any issues with these parts working with this project.

-Full d16y8 motor
-mpfi intake/fuel rail
-obd2 Distributor from the y8
-p2p ecu
-manual trans from the crx OR convert to hydro trans from the civic?

I believe to make this work I need these
Screenshot_20210706-112213_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210706-112110_Chrome.jpg

I know there is a lot of talk about going obd1 but those p28 ecus are getting super expensive.

Any insight on this project is much appreciated.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
537 Posts
If you are using the harness from the y8 you won't need the distributor jumper harness, but you will need to add the vtec wiring from ecu to fenderwell connector and I think on that one you will need to pull the cabin side of the fenderwell connector and use the one from the 98.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Joe! I was under the impression that I had to modify the crx harness. I didn't think using the y8 harness was an option. Unless you mean wiring in the odb2 distributor plug into the crx harness.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You could use the original harness and pin in the injectors, vtec, distributor, move the iat, and the iac connectors to fit, but if you have a known good one I'd just keep it intact, the less you have to change the less chance of bugs needing worked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I do know both harness are good because both cars run great. It sounds simple using the harness from the civic, I just thought there was issues with hooking the civic harness up to the the cabin of the crx.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If there is an issue it will be the fenderwell connector(s) needing switched to the 98, pretty simple to pull them apart and compare the cabin side of the crx to the engine side of the 98, then just steal the 3 vtec wires from the 98 cabin side and insert them into the corosponding spots of the obd2 ecu plug on the conversion harness, dont think they will be the right pins to interface with the obd0 ecu plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it now.This has been really helpful! So if I'm using the harness from the y8/p2p ecu I wouldn't need any of the wiring above.

I plan on documenting my work and adding it to this thread as I go. Hopefully someone will get some use out of it.

If anyone stumbles across this and has any advice please feel free, I have found no information about this exact swap. Any y8 swap write up covers modifying the existing crx harness with a p28 ecu.

Thanks again oldcivicjoe.

Here's the cars.
20210416_200026.jpg

20210707_095607.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
Very nice CRX, I'm a little jelous.
Most dont use the obd2 ecu cause it's not tunable, and if they are doing a swap they generally want to squeak more power out of it than the 8 hp you get with I/H/E on the stock obd2 ecu. But you are going from 92 hp to 125 hp, so it's a pretty decent bump in hp and torque for such a light car, and there is always the option of sourcing an obd1 ecu and jumper harness, and z6 intake manifold further on up the road if you get addicted and need more vroom 😜

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I pulled the y8 motor and got it on the stand today. She was a little wet..... here's before and after photos of cleaning.
20210715_192434.jpg

20210715_200944.jpg

The motor has 150k on it. I bought a complete gasket kit and a timing belt. I'm planning on adjusting the valves and putting new rings on it depending on how the cylenders look.

Anything else I should look out for? This is my first motor rebuild so any advice is helpful.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mark EVERYTHING as you disassemble, it all needs to go back in the same spot in the same orientation as it came out, so mark both rod and cap with cylinder number and arrow, keep rod nuts on the bolt you pulled it off of, keepers with retainers with valves with springs, ect. Clean clean clean and lube lube lube EVERYTHING. building a motor is all in the little details, do it right and you will be amazed at how nice it is, do it wrong and your headache has just begun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts