Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a b7 with an a6 cam, the head is shaved .020 total and I'm running a .028 head gasket. Total drop of .040, I've got an AEM tru time cam gear advanced 1 degree to fix the cam timing.

However I've got a lopey idle which stays at 1500 rpm until it stalls itself within 2 minutes of starting. It revs up fine but multiple revs makes it sputter. Everything I've found in the book points to a fuel issue. The plugs have white residue from running hot. The check engine light does come on but due to the stall I cannot get a code from it. It stalls faster as it warms up.

I'll be heading back to work on my car tomorrow after getting some sleep but as of right now I'm kind of at the end of my rope. The only thing different with my fuel system is that I finally found the bolt to the fuel filter retaining strap and installed that while putting everything back together.

Any suggestions? I really need to get my car back on its wheels so I can get some work in over winter break.

·
Registered
92dx-turbo 92cx-pimp
89 Posts
usually when you do cam swaps you wanna keep the cam gear to match the cam unless spec'd to match, is the belt like ridiculously tight?

replace the in-line fuel filter and see if that helps and check pressure.
could be ignition, white plugs is pretty dominant for pre-detonation.
heres a link to source what issue you might have with residue
sparkplugreading

take off your intake recently and not change the gasket?

just some ideas to try and help

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
When you retensioned the belt, how did you remove the slack from the long side?

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
you need to pull the code, just cause it stalls doesnt make the code go away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I couldn't get the crank bolt off and the tensioner bolt rounded off so I had to pull the belt part way onto the cam gear and turn it to get the belt on. Tension wise it is the same as it was when I pulled the head Tuesday, which is where it has been the last 18k miles. I triple checked that the cam gear and timing marks matched up before continuing assembly. I replaced the intake manifold gasket.

I replaced the fuel filter two months ago but I'm going to dig out the fuel pressure gauge to make sure there's enough pressure. And also check the fuel pressure regulator.

As for the cam gear, I swapped it out because of the total head drop to put the camshaft back into correct time. Which is supposed to be 1 degree advanced for every .040.

Also I will be getting the information on how to pull codes and what the codes are before I get back to it. For whatever reason my Haynes manual doesn't have that information.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
I assume you have a 92-95 civic if the b7 is the stock engine, just leave the car on even after the sall and jumper the blue 2 wire plug near the ecu. and count flashes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled the codes, got a 6 and a 14, water temp sensor and iacv. Turns out I plugged in the plug for the fuel evap sensor into the iacv on accident. And I also didn't get the timing right at first, I was 30 degrees advanced on top of it. I still have the code and I cannot quite get the idle right. I'm at 800rpm when it should be 650rpm. Now that I've driven the car around I'm going to see if I can get it right, I may need to go to a colder plug however. If I have the timing adjusted to 16 degrees advanced it burbles or pops a little which I'm pretty sure is preignition.

Thanks for your input guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts