Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a y8 motor, boosted on 8 psi, tuned on Uberdata. B-series injectors, Freshly installed walbro 255 fuel pump, and a cheap ebay FPR...
That aside- My car will start and idle fine, but when I go to drive it the wideband reads 20.0 and flashes... Meaning super lean.. and the car runs like shit! I ran it out of gas a couple days ago and ever since then it's been doing this... Is there air in the fuel line.. my fuel pump fucked... or what? Anyone knowledgeable in this situation please fill me in!

My guess is that the fuel pump is done for, or there is air in the line...? But I bled the fuel line, and the fuel pump primes, but it's almost acting like it shuts off after I begin driving...?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
if you tuned using the ecu why change the FPR? B series injectors are the same 240cc as the D series injectors BTW. you should check your fuel pressure. maybe the ebay one gave out. did the FPR come with a pressure gauge?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
damn you beat me to the cc size....lol
and there is a possibility of air, but it should have moved through the line into the injectors then out into the motor and you would feel it lag.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
only B series engine that has larger the 240cc injectors is the B18C5 in the integra type R probaly B16 in the civic type R but im not 100 percent sure on that.

just run DSM injectors with stock FPR and tune.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
So your asking why your running lean at 8psi when your using stock injectors?
Your not flowing enough fuel. 240cc max now h22 injectors are around 345cc which would be ok.

But if it was turn and everything was working fine. then i would look into the injectors being messed up from stress or fuel pump took a crap.
Check for pressure at the rail. And dont drive it on 20:1 AFR

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
So your asking why your running lean at 8psi when your using stock injectors?
Your not flowing enough fuel. 240cc max now h22 injectors are around 345cc which would be ok.

But if it was turn and everything was working fine. then i would look into the injectors being messed up from stress or fuel pump took a crap.
Check for pressure at the rail. And dont drive it on 20:1 AFR
not all h22 are 345cc some are 290cc......

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
not all h22 are 345cc some are 290cc......
yea i know it depends on which motor just dont remember which was which. its the one that makes the most power tho.

*edit since your forced me :p

88-91 Civic Peak and Hold 240cc
92-'95 Civic Saturated 240cc
96-'00 Civic Saturated 240cc
90-'91 Integra Peak and Hold 240cc
92-'00 Integra Saturated 240cc
92-'96 Prelude Non-VTEC Peak and Hold 240cc
92-'96 Prelude h22a1 VTEC Peak and Hold 345cc
96-up Prelude vtec Saturated 290cc

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
yea i know it depends on which motor just dont remember which was which. its the one that makes the most power tho.
345 cc for 4th gen 290 for 5th i believe...OBDI = peak and hold 345cc
OBDII = saturated 290cc...

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
check the fuel pressure regulator. put a bucket down, and run the return fuel line to the bucket and try running the car

is the stream consistant? is it random in its spray?

toss fuel into the tank when done

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It could be a few things as mentioned.

Firsts test is fuel pressure and if there is a constant flow of fuel by running into a clean container. A big bottle or drum is safer than a bucket, but a bucket can work. Of course don't smoke or do anything that might spark.

It quite likely is a damaged pump from running dry, depending on how long it actually ran dry.

It could be a plugged fuel filter also quite likely.

It could be water in the fuel or a shit batch of fuel (unlikely).

It could be a shit fuel pressure regulator.

The chip could have lost tune.

The oxygen sensor might be stuffed.

The injectors might be stuffer. 240cc injectors are not enough for 6# boost. Buy some DSM 450s. They are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks much! I thought stock D injectors were 190cc so I threw a set of B in there for now knowing they are 240's. I have a set of DSM 460's that I'm gonna throw in.. Im under the impression that I fucked the fuel pump up.. ill throw a stock one back in for now and see what happens.. ill post what the problem was when I get it figured out.
Its not the fuel filter, and I cleaned the O2 sensor off also... thanks for all the suggestions though fellers I appreciate it! Ill keep ya posted.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Thanks much! I thought stock D injectors were 190cc so I threw a set of B in there for now knowing they are 240's. I have a set of DSM 460's that I'm gonna throw in.. Im under the impression that I fucked the fuel pump up.. ill throw a stock one back in for now and see what happens.. ill post what the problem was when I get it figured out.
Its not the fuel filter, and I cleaned the O2 sensor off also... thanks for all the suggestions though fellers I appreciate it! Ill keep ya posted.
190cc are 96-00 dx injectors all other hondas are pretty much 240.
Check the list i posted plus there is another one on this site that tells injectors size for injectors that will work with are hondas.

Also what are you tuning with?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mechanic tuned my ecu with Uberdata... I'm about to take my car back to him and have him retune it, because i'm going to crank the boost up a tad, put the bigger injectors and buy ANOTHER new Walbro fuel pump. Hopefully that takes care of the whole thing..

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
While all that might be necessary, it would be a shame if the actual problem was simply a blocked fuel filter.

I think the big injectors are necessary, but they would really only show up at higher boost/rpm than you seem to indicate. Check the filter before you replace the pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the stock pump back in, and the fuel filter is crystal clear. I put in my 460cc injectors, cranked the fuel pressure up to 60 psi, and it still is running LEAN! I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator is junk, because I even had my mechanic reburn the tune on to the chip.. (just to make sure).. I know it's lean because I popped out a spark plug and it's super white. I've been driving it around but now it's gonna stay parked until the problem is fixed.. New FPR? I guess so.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
How do you know you have 60 psi fuel pressure and where are you measuring it at.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I put the stock pump back in, and the fuel filter is crystal clear. I put in my 460cc injectors, cranked the fuel pressure up to 60 psi, and it still is running LEAN! I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator is junk, because I even had my mechanic reburn the tune on to the chip.. (just to make sure).. I know it's lean because I popped out a spark plug and it's super white. I've been driving it around but now it's gonna stay parked until the problem is fixed.. New FPR? I guess so.
the tune that you had re-burnt onto the chip, was it calibrated for 460cc injectors?

If not, I would immediately start there, and forget anything else your going to do, until you get a tune meant for the injectors @ the PSI of fuel you are going to run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It said 60 psi on the junk FPR gauge... Whether it's actually getting 60 or not i'm not sure. I intend to throw the stock FPR on to see if that's the problem. And on a different note, the Uberdata tune that it's on is for 450cc injectors, yes. What psi it's tuned to, I haven't a clue... I'm starting to think that it's the tuning software used, or my mechanic has a bad chip burner because it almost appears that the chip isn't properly holding a tune..?
Again, I'll let you know what the actual problem is so you know for future reference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts