Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
???
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a mini me swap (D16Y7/Y8) and I heard that it has higher compression than my old Y8 that I blew. So would it make sense to use a higher octane fuel to compensate the higher compression or am I just wasting my money? It seems that using 93 vs 83 I have better throttle response and it seems to give me some better fuel economy, but hey, I might just be crazy. Let me know what you guys think please.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
depending on where you live prices are different.. but for the extra 30 cents a gallon it costs to go from 87 to 93 octane, your car deserves it. :TU:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
always use 93.. end of story.
umm no

higher octane gas actually burns slower and makes less power

The trick is to use the lowest octane you can without detonating. Lower octane means it has higher hexane which actually burns faster which makes more power.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
same here, i use 93 no matter what...except in my old b7.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
ill take the 1hp drop not to grenade my engine on nitrous.
Nobody said anything about nitrous... if you have high compression or forced induction then yes you need the detonation protection of high octane. The OP mentioned a mini me which doesn't have near the compression to warrant increased octane. Octane is a detonation preventer not a power adder. He will actually lose power by running 93 over 89.

·
Registered
402 Posts
ill take the 1hp drop not to grenade my engine on nitrous.
Nitrous or boost is different, the range of conditions your engine will see are drastically different that a simple NA application. Don't run more octane than you need, and never run less than you need, but that doesn't help him figure out what he needs. To do that we would need more info about the OP's engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts