Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
hrmm, not a bad price for it. not sure if it works though. pick it up and test it out! just make sure t set up the rest of the system correctly.

a W2A IC doesnt do you any good if the rest of the W2A system is junk.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
im using one, it works good. you need a pump that flows like fucking crazy tho. 600+ gph. that is if u want to maintain sub ambient iat's... i was pulling 7c IAT's when it was 28c outside

ice does not last long.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read that you don't necessarily need a fast flowing pump (pump the water through too fast and it won't absorb the heat). But you do need a big enough water reserve and a good ("bigger" and "more efficient" aren't necessarily the same) heat exchanger.

Dunno if that's true though..

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Not with a proper sized heat exchanger.....you saying after a while of driving your car overheats because the radiator heat soaked....?
i see what you are saying, but the water in the intercooler system will only be ambient at best. and some efficiency is lost in the water to air core, so IATs will always be above ambient.

the only people with good success from w2a are people who use it to go BELOW ambient. like 99% of the drag cars out there that are running 8s and 9's

sans speedfactory of course. they are OG air to air. haha:bigok:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
i see what you are saying, but the water in the intercooler system will only be ambient at best. and some efficiency is lost in the water to air core, so IATs will always be above ambient.

the only people with good success from w2a are people who use it to go BELOW ambient. like 99% of the drag cars out there that are running 8s and 9's

sans speedfactory of course. they are OG air to air. haha:bigok:
So w2a success == temps below ambient?

I guess if you abide by one and only one paradigm.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
But will a A2A intercooler cool bellow ambient?

no it will not. neither will w2a unless you use something to cool the reservoir.

and a2a a more reliable, simple, KISS solution.

which is why i say its better. id hate to see what happens to IAT's if a w2a pump fails....

So w2a success == temps below ambient?

I guess if you abide by one and only one paradigm.
exactly. everyones definition of success is different.

im going to try and run non intercooled and see what happens. lol. its a drag only car, which only runs WOT for 10-11 seconds at a time. i think i should be ok. but if i make poo poo power on the dyno ill just cut my losses and find a way to fit an air to air in there.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
If the system is designed properly, the IAT will rise slowly and convection will come to a higher temperature state of equilibrium. It isn't drastic, unless you are in the middle of a flying mile run.

You can also tune for that, just in case, and run a simple warning light for pump function.

W2A can cool to ambient, but not if you are beating on it all the time. However, just running water in a cooling system is retarded. You can use regular 50/50 mix or mix your own at a lower ratio of coolant. A small fan on the heat exchanger is also a decent idea.

Yes, liquid to air is more efficient, but the IATs are almost always more stable over a wider variety to situations than most air to air intercoolers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts