Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Anyone got photos of a their DIY front wind splitters? Any advice on material (alloy / ply wood), shape, angle etc. Any pros & cons to front support tie rods?
how strong it really needs to be. i.e. being able to stand on it etc

Cheers :)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Special Projects Motorsports

Kiwi

FSAE throws girls in their rear wind splitter to prove strength of their carbon fiber.

If it can not hold the weight of the expected down force, whats the point?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure thing Was thinking of simply making my own. any recommendations on Ply-wood thickness? was going to fabricate up some side winglets with like a progressive ramp on the side out of alloy. thickness on here too?

Maybe like 15mm ply and 6mm alloy?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
If you look at most winglets. They are somewhere between 2-4 mill thickness. As for plywood, start at 1/2 inch. Shouldn't need more than that. Also at least 2 struts sometimes 4 depending on the size of the lip. Also make several copies and different sizes to dial in what will be best. Then you can swap them around depending on what track you are at.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Front Air Dam is off an late-80's, early-90's Camry, the splitter is made from a composite sandwiched between 2 thin sheets of aluminum and the hangers are 1" steel strap (3/16", IIRC)

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
One thing to remember when developing a splitter, it is a disposable item. You do not want is so thick and strong that when, not if, you go off course and damage the splitter it doesn't damage your frame. I believe kiwi's is 3/8" thick, but I'm not sure, research it. Also, there is a great thread on HT about splitters.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I made one once. If you try to use plywood, make sure it's water proof and expect to spend about $80 for a sheet big enough to make 2 splitters with.

Also don't install a splitter if the car is street legal and it snows in your area because your truck will break and you'll be forced to drive it through the snow. The snow will fill your engine bay, start overheating and then force snow through the missing upper timing cover until it jumps timing and leaves you stranded in the middle of the road in a white out blizzard. Not that this has ever happened to me or anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts